Virtual Midi controller...anyone use one?

nuke_diver

• Members

I bet this sinks like a stone but I'll try anyways. I don't have a easy way of currently getting midi tracks from BFD or one of the other plugins I have for PT8 into an instrument track to record along with. I've seen some virtual midi controllers that might work to make this easier but I'm not really sure that they would work. A real keyboard midi controller is likely too big to fit in my limited space. Some of the pad ones would have the same problem or are too many $$ for my need.

Love to hear from some of you recording types if you've ever used one :wave:

• Members

Yeah, I don't get it. Coz you say you've got MIDI tracks (so I'm guessing it's not some kind of MIDI input device for creating tracks that you're after), and you've got the host, and you've got the sample software. So I don't get where you'd have difficulties recording your stuff to go with it. Turning a MIDI track that's triggering a plugin into an actual audio track will be an internal function of the drum software or the host.

If that's the case, not sure if BFD has it, but Superior has an inbuilt bounce function that bounces the MIDI track down to separate audio tracks for the different kit mics. Alternatively, you could use the host's mixdown function to mix the drum track down to one stereo track, but you can only do so much to a single stereo mix of a drum kit. :idk:

• Members

I have BFD and other Midi software for PT8. What I don't have is an easy way of turning that software into user specific input. The midi is there but if I want to do say Kick/snare/kick/crash I have to draw these things in by hand into the midi file and copy them to each measure.

Last night I did find a way to use standard notation input to do this with a mouse click. There is still a lot of trial and error because you do not see what staff position = what midi sound but it is better than the pencil tool.

I know there are midi controllers you can buy (keyboards or pad) to allow you to map your midi system to specific functions so you lay down tracks of your own choosing. I also found some Virtual Midi controllers on Google that seem to allow you to do the same thing as the hardware versions but use your computer keyboard to be the input device. It's this Software that I'm wondering about. I'm not even 100% sure that this (or something like it) does what I think it does, that is allow you to create custom midi tracks quickly and easily into the recording software as a track in that software

• Members

OK, that makes more sense. The idea of using the computer keyboard to map to MIDI isn't anything new and a lot of the popular MIDI utilities do it. VSTHost and MIDI-OX are two that come to mind.

I'd probably look at some of the small controllers from m-audio or something though. You get velocity sensitivity with them and they can be pretty small and feel more natural for playing.

• Members

One of these came packaged with EZ Drummer that I bought a while ago, the Korg nanoPad.

583733.jpg

I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for, but it works well enough. I mostly just use the existing patches (loops) in EZDrummer, but have used this to throw in cymbal crashes and such here and there.

• Members

I have BFD and other Midi software for PT8. What I don't have is an easy way of turning that software into user specific input. The midi is there but if I want to do say Kick/snare/kick/crash I have to draw these things in by hand into the midi file and copy them to each measure.

Last night I did find a way to use standard notation input to do this with a mouse click. There is still a lot of trial and error because you do not see what staff position = what midi sound but it is better than the pencil tool.

I know there are midi controllers you can buy (keyboards or pad) to allow you to map your midi system to specific functions so you lay down tracks of your own choosing. I also found some Virtual Midi controllers on Google that seem to allow you to do the same thing as the hardware versions but use your computer keyboard to be the input device. It's this
that I'm wondering about. I'm not even 100% sure that this (or something like it) does what I think it does, that is allow you to create custom midi tracks quickly and easily into the recording software as a track in that software

Does PT not have a drum editor view? In Cubase for example, you apply a drum map to your MIDI track, and when you edit the MIDI track you get the drum editor view instead of the piano roll. Instead of the piano keys down the side, you have the list of drum components, and a nice grid to place your notes on. There has to be something better in PT than trying to sequence in standard notation. I've done it years ago when I started sequencing and before I had any actual recording gear or software, but I think it'd just drive me nuts if I tried it these days.

I do all my drum sequencing with just mouse clicks and cut 'n' paste (in Cubase). Might be a bit slow for someone just starting out with it, but it's by far the quickest way for me (unless maybe I bought an e-drum kit and learned to play like a champ).

Archived