Doug's Tubes, whatcha think?

• Members

I had been getting tubes from Eurotubes. Thing is, they don't accept paypal, and I hate using credit, so I would have to snail mail them a money order.

Someone suggested Doug's. I placed my order after their response to my email. I ended up sticking with JJ el84s and trying the mesa tone kit they have. Just ordered so no critique or anything.

I was just wondering if anyone else wen through doug's or, more specifically, tried the five 12ax7 tone combo. Results? Anyone?

• Members

Word, his email was short but it was from him.

How were the tubes? Did he get you closer in your tone journey and what not?

the tubes were tubes. you should take tube mystique with a grain of salt. i heard a bigger difference with preamp swaps than with power tube changes.

• Members

the tubes were tubes. you should take tube mystique with a grain of salt. i heard a bigger difference with preamp swaps than with power tube changes.

Totally. I was really talkin more about sheer quality/durability, though they do contribute to tone. The tone kit I got is just a jumble of five different preamp tubes.

I am not really chasing anything, just like to hear what different ones can do.

• Members

Since you're in Indy, you should give Tube Depot out of Memphis a try. Great tubes, quick shipping, and they accept PayPal.

Hmmm, good to know. If the preamp goulash doesn't alter my life dramatically, ill prolly get my next set from them. Convenient, and less bumpy truck time for my toobs.

• Members

i actually had a nomad 45 212... and i experimented a lot with the tube comboes on that. i just was never happy with the tone i got from it, and traded up and up and up until i got something worth keeping.

• Members

i actually had a nomad 45 212... and i experimented a lot with the tube comboes on that. i just was never happy with the tone i got from it, and traded up and up and up until i got something worth keeping.

I had a Nomad 45 (1 x 12). My story is a carbon copy of yours. It seemed the more I experimented with tubes the further I got away from my sound. That amp sounded the best the first year or so. My feeling about Mesa is that because of the fixed bais, you should probably buy your tubes from them $$$$$. They match them up the best. I did get lucky with a set of Groove Tubes once but that was it. I sold that amp and never looked back.

BTY, I buy all my tubes from Doug (I have a Marshall now). He lives 20 minutes away. Good guy!

• Members

Well that puts a frown on my face. I find it incredibly versatile. Some say its the classic jack of all trades master of none amp, but it has its strong points. Channel 3 with the gain low (when using a misddle position single coil) is the mosyt dynamic/amazing bluesy surfy overdrive I've ever heard. Also a brige p90 makes channel 2 with midrange gain rip your face off (in a pleasant way)

I'm a total tweaker. And now that I've had 3 channels, I can't go back to two. Also I don't like pedals, so the only amp I lust after is the mark v.

To each his own though. :)

• Members

did you also have a little bit of annoying rattle that MIGHT have been comin from the power section?

EL84s are notorious for rattling like that. Put some 3/4" diameter high temp silicon o-rings around the tubes to dampen them.

• Members

did you also have a little bit of annoying rattle that MIGHT have been comin from the power section?

Yeah, and also once, it broke the tip off the tube. Them little wire things. Ans it wasn't me snapping it on sloppily. Packed it up and was fine. Unpacked and was missing a tube tip. Needless to say, those things just dangle now.

• Members

Be careful with the Nomad not to bunk any of the pots against anything. The pots will impale themselves. This includes all pots front and back. The symptom will be NO SOUND! I had to replace a bunch of them and I was carfull. Mesa sent me some plastic washers to put over the pots (from inside) which did help some. WARNING, this failure will happen at the worst time!

Yep, lots of tube rattle...

• Members

Be careful with the Nomad not to bunk any of the pots against anything. The pots will impale themselves. This includes all pots front and back. The symptom will be NO SOUND! I had to replace a bunch of them and I was carfull. Mesa sent me some plastic washers to put over the pots (from inside) which did help some. WARNING, this failure will happen at the worst time!

Yep, lots of tube rattle...

I believe I am in posession of a later model nomad that has better pots on it. I haeard they remedied the problem mid-way thru production, mine is 04 I think. Id go glance but its not near me at the moment. Either way, I quite like my nomad. I wish it was a head and 412, but that's another story.

Such a black sheep amp tho. I say bad things to it and let it know its place in amp history, don't worry, mine is a humble nomad.

Glad to hear that no one hates doug and his tewbs.

• Members

I used Doug's Tubes about two years ago and got great service. I have an older Crate VC30 (96') and wanted to re-tube it. Got online with their website and they have an IM service where they work with you to select the right tubes based on the tone you want and the amp you have. Placed my order and got matched quads fast at good prices. I couldn't be happier with the results.

• Members
Well that puts a frown on my face. I find it incredibly versatile. Some say its the classic jack of all trades master of none amp, but it has its strong points.

exactly how i felt after a few months with it. It sounded different (to my ears at least) every {censored}in day. I just dont like the Mesa EQ, what with its 'turn one knob, affect ALL knobs' approach. I now have a Diezel Einstein, which has turned the GAS off, period :thu:. Good luck with your Nomad tho! I found that the other wattages were a bit more to my liking (more bottom/guts), but the EQ was still the tweaky type. The friend i traded the 45 to is quite happy with it though.

Archived