Pickup height... how are yours set?

cvogue

• Members

I got a new (well new for me) PRS CE 24 a couple weeks ago and the pickups were way high, almost touching the strings (just a hair off) on the bridge HFS pickup.

It sounded a bit distorted so I lowered them some and it's better, but then realized my Les Paul's pickups (much lower output) are actually a lot lower than the PRS pickups... the bridge pickup on my LP is almost flush with the pickup ring. The pups on my LP are PAFs', not high output at all.

What kind of guitar do you play and how do you have your pickups set? Just wondering, sound off EG! :thu:

• Members

I fret the last fret on my LPs and adjust the bridge pickup until I have 1/8 in clearance, and the the same for the neck pup, any closer and the tone gets mushy for me.

It puts my neck pup just above the pickup ring, some of my LPs the pickups are flush with the rings but still have the same clearance because the bridge is a lot lower.

• Members

I fret the last fret on my LPs and adjust the bridge pickup until I have 1/8 in clearance, and the the same for the neck pup, any closer and the tone gets mushy for me.

What kind of pickups are in your LP?

• Members

Strat and tele single coils usually sound a bit better quite close for me. P90s are very touchy when it comes to distance, but they can also be quite close, depending a lot on the guitar. Generally, I like PAF style humbuckers to be further away.

Archived