I did it! I ordered a (drum roll)...

StompBoxLover

• Members

Congrats!

That's one piece of gear that I really want. Someday I'll make it happen.

There's nothing else that is in the same league as the AxeFx. Lot's of players have dumped their amps after getting one.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have a patch that is pretty much Guitar->boost->Orange->cab and that's it. In fact I could edit out most of the effects in my patches as I pretty much use just the amp models. I don't spend near as much programming mine as others, but it is nice to know that it is there if I need it.
:thu:

Most of my patches are pretty straight forward, just amp -> cab type thing. Sometimes there might be a pitch-triggered delay afterwards in parallel, maybe a PEQ somewhere or a boost/filter in front of the amp.

I've never been much of an FX guy, and having the Axe hasn't changed that. I play around every now and again, but always just end up with simple patches. :idk:

• Members

I've been rocking my Ultra since May of 08.

I started off with basic patches too. I record original stuff direct. And do original music and a zillion cover songs with the band live. Over time I've needed to cop a sound for this or that song, and the Ultra always delivers.

I mimic a talk-box with the formant filter and expression pedal... use a rotary on this or that, a whammy pedal, synth-pad delay tricks underneath clean sounds, volume swells, wah...all that crap and it sounds pretty killer out front. I no longer carry power amps, or cabs of any kind.

I was a typical HC GAS-head, buying amps, modded amps, modding my existing amps.... etc. I haven't looked at an amp in 2 years.

For me it was a huge money/time/enjoyment saver.

• Members
If I was playing more professional gigs, I'd be eyeing one of those beasties. Then again, it doesn't take long for those rigs to become obsolete; how many people are still rocking the Roland GP-8?

The Axe is a little different. Sure at some point there will be better hardware available, but at the moment it's the best available to the guitar market. What also keeps it at the top of the heap is the constant firmware updates. Cliff is always finding ways to rework the amp and FX algorithms to make them better, adding new amps, opening up parameters for users to tweak, etc. etc. This way the product is always evolving and staying current.

At some point there will be better hardware available, and I guess maybe then Cliff will look at the possibility of a new Axe so he can implement some things the current hardware can't deal with. For now though, the only thing he seems to say is limiting is the IRs used for cabs. There's something better he wants to be able to do, but for now the cost of hardware required to do it is prohibitive. :idk:

• Members

congrats. I've owned mine since april 2009 and have probably 90+ gigs on it with zero problems.

It's a great piece of gear and has cured my GAS for amps/effects. Definitely worth the price and then some IMO.

When I am done w/ live gigging it will be a wonderful addition to my recording setup.

here's a few clips of me using it live, direct to PA mixer

higher gain stuff:
[YOUTUBE]o_Ws54pY3XE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]FM8llJOv4sI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]UwR9lnXV9ug[/YOUTUBE]

Some of the flanger/delay fx w/ gain (copping an EVH tone)
[YOUTUBE]pWEKoo4Yd3c[/YOUTUBE]

lower gain stuff:
[YOUTUBE]tCaRnXBzDKo[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]QD_lTKTHC9Q[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]DjbfvC4KAOc[/YOUTUBE]

cleanish/bluesy stuff:
[YOUTUBE]XPOV5SArWUA[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]H-bHifrsaP0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
The Axe is a little different. Sure at some point there will be better hardware available, but at the moment it's the best available to the guitar market. What also keeps it at the top of the heap is the constant firmware updates. Cliff is always finding ways to rework the amp and FX algorithms to make them better, adding new amps, opening up parameters for users to tweak, etc. etc. This way the product is always evolving and staying current.

At some point there will be better hardware available, and I guess maybe then Cliff will look at the possibility of a new Axe so he can implement some things the current hardware can't deal with. For now though, the only thing he seems to say is limiting is the IRs used for cabs. There's something better he wants to be able to do, but for now the cost of hardware required to do it is prohibitive.
:idk:

Cool. :)

I like that you can update the rig; that keeps it lasting a little longer.

That's always been the killer with those FX preamps: they get obsolete pretty damned fast when the next wave of music comes along, and then you can't sell the things for love or money. When I started gigging in the early 1990's, I saw a lot of guys dumping their Roland and ART preamps and getting Marshalls. You saw a lot of those preamps gathering dust at your local used music shops.

Like I said before, if I was gigging more regularly

• Members
Some of that old stuff will make a comeback. Like the AD/A MP-1 it is great tube based preamp that has taken on a whole new life with the available mods and community support.

Max

yup. I was surprised to see the prices AD/A preamps and Rocktrons (the cool gear: Chameleon, Voodoo Valve & Piranha) fetched at the 'bay. I must've sold my Chameleon at the completely wrong time

'bout the Axe, there are ampsims of:

and no Princeton?

room to improve!
    also, I'd like to see the crunch channel of the Framus Dragon.

not enough ampsims already, right. :facepalm:

• Members

The best thing about the AxeFX IMO is the community and the fact that you have a very strong development team with a frequent update cycle.

That's what will help it avoid being an obsolete device.

Contrast a Roland VG-99 - great hardware but incomplete software and a company that released it and

all but ignored it since v1.04 of the software and it's only the community and cult following that keeps

that device out there.

So the AxeFX has some strengths in the fact that a lot of pros are using it, the company behind it is

responsive and the users make suggestions that the company actually follows up on. What a concept!

Ultimately what do you need though? Clean guitar, dirty guitar, effects, synth stuff - that box will do it.

Yes in five years it might look amusing but if they're still in business on rev 3 or 4 of the hardware you might get something far beyond what is possible now.

• Members

The best thing about the AxeFX IMO is the community and the fact that you have a very strong development team with a frequent update cycle.

right.

I just read over at the axe forum that a new user got a beta of the 10.0 OS and it includes a Marsha!

yay!

3 months since the last update - not bad.

• Members

Yeah, I think when I got mine about 1.5 years ago it was v6.03 or something like that. Plenty of minor changes since then, but also several big changes. Very curious to find out what all the changes will be when we jump from 9.03 to v10.0. Adding a few amps is not what Cliff considers a major update to the Axe, so there has to be something else going on too. :thu:

• Members
Yeah, I think when I got mine about 1.5 years ago it was v6.03 or something like that. Plenty of minor changes since then, but also several big changes. Very curious to find out what all the changes will be when we jump from 9.03 to v10.0. Adding a few amps is not what Cliff considers a major update to the Axe, so there has to be something else going on too.
:thu:

I've read over there that one of the things that will change is that the Presence parameter has been completely re-done.

Also Bogner Shiva sims coming with 10.0

Oh, and to keep the masses happy with clips (not bassman, but really cool anyway): http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/videos/288

Archived