Vintage Cort LP - worth restoring?

webwarmiller

• Members

This is a Hohner L59 Professional... made by Cort in the Matsumoko plant. I sold one locally for $250 a couple of years ago.

Mine was missing the name as well... a little research found that a series of them were made without the name for a touring artist with another company's endorsement.

DSCN1265.jpg

DSCN1261.jpg

• Members

Removing frets is the hard part. Installing them takes about half an hour...tops...

Have you ever fretted a bound fretboard?

Perhaps you can put the frets in the board that quickly (I can not--not well at least), but preparing the fret-ends to go over the binding--and maintaining a close tolerance fit--is not easy.

• Members

If you have an interest in putting guitars together, this would seem like a great body to give it a shot upon. You could fix the bridge first and string it up to see how resonant the body sounds before putting the time into fretting.

Even if it doesn't sound super resonant acoustically, you could just try and find some really nasty single coils that fit into a humbucker route and build a slide guitar. Or just put in some EMGs, as those things about sound the same whatever they are about in...ducking from boots being tossed from the metal side of the building. (just kidding...kinda)

Cosmetically, it looks all right.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

UPDATE....

I've decided to go ahead and put it back together....I figured I needed to learn how to refret and it would be a perfect guinea pig. Update has Iphone pics as wife has camera on a trip...

Here are the homemade tools I used to radius the fretwired and to file the fret ends (first flush and then the bevel).

imagertf.jpg

The bound fretboard meant I had to remove the fret tang on the portion of the fret that would extend over the binding. I did this using a bench grinder. I then hammered the frets in just using an 8oz hammer and protecting the frets with a old credit card (Home Depot doesn't sell a soft faced small hammer so I just used what I had). Worked quite well and didn't leave any marks on the frets. I nipped the fret ends as close as possible to the fret board using some flush ground pliers. I followed this with the tool in the pic above to get the frets to have a 35* bevel. I really like 'bullet' fret ends so I did this using a small triangle file that has the edges ground 'safe'. I'm not very good at doing the 'bullets' but the look and feel fine. I followed everything with a level/crown/polish and here's the result:

imagety.jpg

and

imageacfv.jpg

Now I just need to order an LP re-wire kit from somewhere.....GFS maybe, but I see similar kits that are already wired up for the same price with similar quality parts. I'm going to use the old PUPs first as they can always be switch later.....

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I just purchased an IDENTICAL Cort Les Paul copy (without the Cort name at the top of headstock) at a pawnshop for $115. I didn't realize it was a Cort at the time, and now honestly, I'm a little dissappointed. However, I still love it. For some reason I get really excited when I see a decent quality les paul copy for real cheap. Mine needs a little work as well, but it plays really well compared to my 1960 Gibson Les Paul re-issue. Will post pics soon.

• Members

I just purchased an IDENTICAL Cort Les Paul copy (without the Cort name at the top of headstock) at a pawnshop for $115. I didn't realize it was a Cort at the time, and now honestly, I'm a little dissappointed. However, I still love it. For some reason I get really excited when I see a decent quality les paul copy for real cheap. Mine needs a little work as well, but it plays really well compared to my 1960 Gibson Les Paul re-issue. Will post pics soon.

dissapointed why? there's nothing wrong with Cort, well, today ayway:poke:

Archived