Two questions, one opinion, one knowledge

Red81

• Members

1. I have an epiphone lp junior (i spent $20 on this puppy 5 years ago or so), and it has the crappy stock pickup , whatever that is. It's a single pickup guitar. Does anyone have a cheap pickup recommendation that i could throw in there to make the guitar sound better?

2. did fender ever make plexiglass strats?

• Members

1) I bought one -- at way above market price because of its groovy engraved metal front (see below). The PU was indeed the crappiest 'bucker known to science. I ended up replacing it with a BareKnuckle Mississippi Queen HB-sized P90, also junking ALL the original wiring, and now it's a v. cool slide guitar.

I'd say that just about ANY humbucker from even a semi-reputable brand would be a massive improvement over what's on board.

2) Back in the '70s, Fender did indeed build a coupla plexiglass Strats as novelty items for display at trade shows -- but no such thing was ever manufactured for offer to the general public. Just as well -- they weighed a TON and by all accounts sounded like used food.

• Members
pic? It's either a cheap humbucker or a dog ear P-90. If it's the P-90 keep it. If it's the HB sell it (the whole guitar) for $50 and buy a decent guitar.

i have a good guitar already, but for some reason can't part with this one. it just sounds so horrible, but i was thinking if i threw in 20-30 dollars at it, it would improve. definitely not a p90 in there, just a regular hb.

thanks for the strat info, i saw one custom made by someone a while back, but i could've sworn i saw frusciante play one in a video a while back, and he's pretty loyal to mainstream guitar brands so i figured it had to be a fender.

here's a pic from mf. add a couple dings and scratches and that's mine.

275172.jpg

• Members
i have a good guitar already, but for some reason can't part with this one. it just sounds so horrible, but i was thinking if i threw in 20-30 dollars at it, it would improve. definitely not a p90 in there, just a regular hb.

thanks for the strat info, i saw one custom made by someone a while back, but i could've sworn i saw frusciante play one in a video a while back, and he's pretty loyal to mainstream guitar brands so i figured it had to be a fender.

here's a pic from mf. add a couple dings and scratches and that's mine.

275172.jpg

I would put a cheap HB size P-90 in it and upgrade the pots and cap. For $29.95, the GFS Dream 90 is probably what I would use...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsdr90blbow.html

• Members

My rule of thumb is to avoid any GFS pickup with the word "crunchy", "hot", "high output" or "overwound" in the name. They seem to be unloading those in huge numbers on Ebay over their other models for good reason.

My favorite is the standard vintage PAF humbucker.

• Members

My rule of thumb is to avoid any GFS pickup with the word "crunchy", "hot", "high output" or "overwound" in the name. They seem to be unloading those in huge numbers on Ebay over their other models for good reason.

My favorite is the standard vintage PAF humbucker.

I like the vintage PAF too. Depends on the application. I have several different models of GFS humbuckers. The Crunchy PAT is one of my favorites as well. It's the one that I get the most compliments about for my tone.

• Members

There's a seller on ebay that sells acrylic import strat copies.

The neck plate is US Fender hole spacing.

Only a couple of downsides....

1. To relieve weight, the body is slightly thinner (front to back), and Fender 3/5 way switches don't fit.

2. It was pretty fresh when I got it and took the body around a year to fully harden.

Thinking a GFS Brian May pickguard will take care of 1, 2 is just time.

Archived