Who has the best Red Tort pickguards

• Moderators

A friend of mine would like to put a red tortoise pickguard on his Strat, so I said I'd help him find the right one.

My friend would really like a good looking one, so I told my friend I'd ask some people who knew, and my friend would be very grateful if somebody could steer us to the best looking red torts out there

I'd just like to make it plain that on no account is this for me, as there is no way on earth I'd fit a hemorrhaging stomach ulcer vomit pickguard to a guitar I own

My friend awaits your learned opinions

• Members

A friend of mine would like to put a red tortoise pickguard on his Strat, so I said I'd help him find the right one.

My friend would really like a good looking one, so I told my friend I'd ask some people who knew, and my friend would be very grateful if somebody could steer us to the best looking red torts out there

I'd just like to make it plain that on no account is this for me, as there is no way on earth I'd fit a hemorrhaging stomach ulcer vomit pickguard to a guitar I own

My friend awaits your learned opinions

Ill look around for you. I mean "your friend" (air quotes) :rolleyes:

:lol:

• Members

I always thought of it as "pizza vomit".

I never liked it much, but I was building a guitar specifically for a disco/funk kind of band. I bought a pizza vomit pickguard loaded with chrome covered humbuckers from guitar fetish. I still think it looks awesome. The tone knob has started to cut out and the pickups were a little bland. But it looks pimp fo sho.

However, the pizza vomit doesn't really have a uniform swirl and I wouldn't recommend it. I'd buy a real fender one. Those always look pretty good and vomity.

• Members

I always thought of it as "pizza vomit".

I never liked it much, but I was building a guitar specifically for a disco/funk kind of band. I bought a pizza vomit pickguard loaded with chrome covered humbuckers from guitar fetish. I still think it looks awesome. The tone knob has started to cut out and the pickups were a little bland. But it looks pimp fo sho.

However, the pizza vomit doesn't really have a uniform swirl and I wouldn't recommend it. I'd buy a real fender one. Those always look pretty good and vomity.

Never liked tort guards either, except on butterscotch blond guitars, specifically Teles and Strats.

Someone posted a pic of a metallic orange Suhr Tele with a tort guard, and as gross as it sounds like it would look, it looked AWESOME.

I guess tort does have its place in the right context.

I dont think it would go well with surf green for example, but then again, dudes like John Backlund can make just about any color combination work right by keeping the colors and shapes complimentary and intertesting by design elements.

I dont have alot of use for tort as a general rule though.

• Members

Allparts for the pickguard:

VC: nice looking burst strat

thank you! the body and neck came from Warmoth back in 1998 when they offered bargains in their showcase. body is swamp ash, neck is maple with ebony board and abalone dots. best playing guitar I have ever owned!

• Members

The tort guards all vary somewhat. For a really red tort, The Allparts ones are pretty good. I've purhased a couple MightyMite ones and they have more of a rust color to them. I am toying with putting one on a Siennaburst Strat. The Fender Tort guards are nice but are definitely brown.

In the pic below, the Mightymite is shown next to a cheapy from Bitteroot Guitars. While the Bitteroot guard is a nice match to the Fender Tort guard color-wise, the mounting screw holes are way off and too close to the edge of the pickguard to look right.

The issue of recessed holes for the pickup height and switch mount can be covered two ways. A trip to Ace will get you the right stainless steel screws that match or you can just use the existing screws since the head of the screw usually covers the recessed hole anyway.

1002776x.jpg 1002789rg.jpg

Here's the MM Tort on a couple different guitars:

pict2053zs.jpg 1001573.jpg

Here's the Fender brown tort:

1001319.jpg 1002387.jpg

Archived