Proper way to transfer guitar to humid environment

Red81

• Members

So, in a couple days time, i'll be done with my basement remodel.

Now, the guitars (two electric, one acoustic, one ukulele) are being moved down to the basement. Is it safe to just plop them down there and leave them? The reason i'm asking is that , as you midwesterners know, it's very humid in the basement, and it's pretty dry upstairs. So it'll be around a 100% change in humidity.

Is there a safe way to acclimate the guitar? Also, they're case kept upstairs now, but i'd like to leave them out. The one's i'm concerned with is a strat and a martin 00-15. not so much concerned about the epiphone .

Thanks guys.

also, any tips in general on keeping guitars in humid areas would help.

• Members

Get a dehumidifier for the basement.

+1

Even if you didn't have any guitars, it's a worthwhile expenditure. We always had them when I was growing up in Illinois, even in unfinished basements; if you store anything that's of any value to you down there, you will want much lower humidity.

A dehumidifier was the very first thing my wife and I bought when we moved from inland California (Santa Clarita) to northern Virginia. Her books would have rotted otherwise.

• Members

Yes get a dehumidifier. You can pick them up starting around $50. Some of the better ones have a hose connection you can use to drain it vs having to dump the bucket on the thing. Otherwise you need to change your home ventallation, ductwork etc to accomodate the basement which is very expensive. If you do nothing, you not only habve instrument problems but any other electronics are susseptable to mold and moisture.

• Members

Is it to late to include ventilation in your remodel?

define ventilation. I have central air down there (intake and return), i have 4 windows, and a dehumidifier. but it's still humid down there.

• Members

I live in the midwest and most of my guitars are in the basement. I leave them all down there. No dehumidifier or anything. Though it is cold down there. Not freezing cold but a nice chill. There is no windows or anything. It is a room down there actually. Apart from the rest. But it has two vents on the ceiling that blow down cold air. I figure it would be fine.

• Members

I just keep a dehumidifier in my basement. It's still humid in the summer, but that's life. Your guitars may in fact need a truss rod tweak after a few weeks. All part of playing instruments made primarily of wood.

• Members

Unfortunately, if you have a basement that will naturally fluctuate wildly, you're best off keeping a humidifier down there. Sure, it'll cost a few bucks a month, but drastic humidity changes, even the same room from day to day, can really mess up a guitar.

I know that it can be a pain to empty out a dehumidifier, and it can cost a few bucks to run, but you're talking about rusted metal, checked finish, warped necks... if you're going to finish a basement, do it all the way, and make plans to keep it dry.

Archived