Jet City JCA20 or PicoValve

burton4snow

• Members

I am trying to decide between these two heads. I play in a small den and I am thinking the 20 watt head will make me go deaf before I find the sweet spot. The PicoValve has a 5 watt and 3 watt switch which makes me think the sweet spot is attainable at lower levels. This should be a no brainer but because the PicoValve isn't even out yet there is just a couple winter namm vids on youtube that don't really do it justice. THere are lots of vids of the JCA20 and it sounds sooo sweet. One guy even says he is playong at bedroom levels and his video does it the most justice. Any Ideas? Should I just ass-u-me the PicoValve is going to sound tits and pull the trigger on it or should I ass-u-me the JCA20 is not going to over power the room I am playing it in?

• Members

My guess is the handful of people who have played the final version of the Picovalve that should be shipping are enjoying their holiday weekend. The enthusiasts who read this board on the weekend would only be taking a shot in the dark.

I'll be eagerly trying it out when it hits stores, because while the JCA20H is pretty dang cool, I'm mostly an at-home player and it's too dang loud for that.

• Members

Just as a point of reference, I have a THD BiValve, and it is built like a tank. I like it a lot, so I would personally have no worries about the THD design of the Pico Valve. Not sure who is actually building those, though.

• Members

Good morning, just found your post. I'm going to say for the small. at-home environment the Pico is probably the way to go...

That's counter-productive to my instincts as a marketer, since the JCA20H is available NOW and the Pico won't be in stores for another several weeks...

but yeah, I think Pico would be the way to go if you're not planning on gigging...

• Members

Good morning, just found your post. I'm going to say for the small. at-home environment the Pico is probably the way to go...

That's counter-productive to my instincts as a marketer, since the JCA20H is available NOW and the Pico won't be in stores for another several weeks...

but yeah, I think Pico would be the way to go if you're not planning on gigging...

Someone told me the Pico ships with a 6L6 power tube. Is that accurate info?

• Members

I like the 20 in both formats... tried the combo with reverb and it sounded sweet, tried the head with the 1x12 cab... didn't like it with a LP but loved it with a PRS SE Torero. I'd love to try out the PicoValve, but it's going to be a while until I pay off the tweaker and am really in the market for another small head. Although a true low wattage head (0.5 - 5 watts) would be nice...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived