Show me a guitar I've never seen before

Bernie Franks

• Members

Originally posted by CrackerD

On that one I got the alder body from a friend for 40 bucks, bought the USACG neck on ebay for 125.00, and just used some stuff I had layin around (tele bridge and Planet Waves tuners). Got the GFS pickups for like 25 bucks each in no reserve auctions.

Still need to finish that one. I think I am going to get a Marty Bell green sparkle finish. That will add 300 to the cost!!! Might just spray some amber laquer on it myself and call it good.

Decisions, decisions........
:confused:

I like the body on that one. It is a little different in the contours. I want it :cry:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Fig0ta

That would be impossible to play
:D

Pat Metheny plays something that looks like that, if not that guitar, on his song "Are You Going With Me?" on his DVD Speaking of Now Live!

Of course Pat Metheny's music is practically impossible to play anyway.

• Members

The black plug is where a pot should go. I cannot stand a vol knob right there (like a strat). I like a global tone control and global vol control. So it was just a plugged hole! I guess I am lucky to have alot of guitar related resources! My buddy owns a store as well. I did pay full price for Danny Ransom to build the neck, assemble, and plek the guitar. He is cheaper than Warmoth, though, and includes Plekking in his assembly/neck build price, which is awesome.

I like the body on that one. It is a little different in the contours. I want it

It's a comfy shape, too. It is really just a shrunken Jazzmaster!

What is a "Marty Bell sparkle finish?"

Marty Bell is a guitar finisher. I believe he did the sparkle finishes for G&L. He then tought them how to do it in house or something like that! He's got a website if you do a search. He does sweet work.

• Members

Originally posted by Bernie Franks

Well initially I just wanted to see what kinda goofy guitars people could offer. But I guess we can change gears here...

Something under $700, mutant son of a Strat and a Les Paul (can achieve both sounds), tremolo (Wilkinson or Kahler-like) preferred but not necessary.

Eh?
:confused:

Parker P series is your best bet IMO. Most of the trem (some are Wilkinson style some are vintage style)equipped P series models come with piezo and all the HB models are already coil tapped. A little bit different but really flexible with some change left over. I'm a great fan of these. IMHO these and the PRS SE range offer awesome quality and playability on this price range.

• Members

Originally posted by unistudent1980

Parker P series is your best bet IMO. Most of the trem (some are Wilkinson style some are vintage style)equipped P series models come with piezo and all the HB models are already coil tapped. A little bit different but really flexible with some change left over. I'm a great fan of these. IMHO these and the PRS SE range offer awesome quality and playability on this price range.

I actually just sold a Parker P-38. :o It really was a good guitar, but it had some kinks and that upper horn was kinda uncomfortable. And it was so damn light...I kept feeling like I was gonna break it (I'm a pretty abusive player).

• Members

I actually just sold a Parker P-38.
:o
It really was a good guitar, but it had some kinks and that upper horn was kinda uncomfortable. And it was so damn light...I kept feeling like I was gonna break it (I'm a pretty abusive player).

Last try

Iceman

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=519476

Cyclone

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=511014

Toronado

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=511320

• Members

Last try

Iceman

Cyclone

Toronado

I've considered all three before. I may go with a Cyclone and do some extensive modifications. Not the II, though, I can't stand those racing stripe finishes.

Let's pretend I installed some humbuckers in there - would it have a relatively high ass-kick rate, do you think?

• Members

I've considered all three before. I may go with a Cyclone and do some extensive modifications. Not the II, though, I can't stand those racing stripe finishes.

Let's pretend I installed some humbuckers in there - would it have a relatively high ass-kick rate, do you think?

I love the Cyclone shape it is light but not the obscene lightness of Parkers. I think its a cool guitar as is, depending on what you play . Personall I''d go with a H -S config, prob a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a Chopper in the neck, and use the switching to so coil splits and phase switching (not that I know what this does exactly but it seems like a good idea).

• Members

WarmothPadoukStrat0001.jpg

WarmothPadoukStrat00011.jpg

Chambered Warmoth h-s-s Strat made from Padouk. The neck is 1.75" @ the nut, 6100 jumbo wire and an Earvana nut. It's also made of Padoul.

The volume pot is a push/pull that sets the bridge PU at either series or parallel the PUs are all Dimarzio, ToneZone bridge VV Heavy Blues at middle and VV Blues at the neck.

The tones control the neck and bridge only, no load on the middle PU. The 5-way is wired like a standard Strat.

The bridge is a Wilkinson and the only thing I'm missing are some black screws for the cover on the back and the 5-way switch.

I know it's just a Strat, but the wood combo and the fact that it's hollow is unique.

• Members

I love the Cyclone shape it is light but not the obscene lightness of Parkers. I think its a cool guitar as is, depending on what you play . Personall I''d go with a H -S config, prob a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a Chopper in the neck, and use the switching to so coil splits and phase switching (not that I know what this does exactly but it seems like a good idea).

I play (or at least try to play) any kind of music I can, so I'm looking for versatility mostly I suppose.

I just remembered the Cyclone I was looking at does have a HS setup, so I'd probably get something like my good ole Duncan JB in the bridge and one of them Lil 59's in the neck. Don't know much about all the coil splitting stuff, though. :o

• Members

Originally posted by guitarlady

Pat Metheny plays something that looks like that, if not that guitar, on his song "Are You Going With Me?" on his DVD Speaking of Now Live!

Of course Pat Metheny's music is practically impossible to play anyway.

Yep. "The Pikasso" Commissioned by Pat Metheny in 1984.

Link

Archived