What weight's too heavy for an LP?

odd

• Members

Depends on your opinion. These are generalities but I would say somewhere from 8 to 11 is best, so yours would be good. But again it's not the only way you should be judging. What I would say is that LP's that don't fall in the 8 to 11 range may have unbalanced frequencies. Over powering highs or lows...or in the case of really heavy...just dead wood.

But then there may be people who prefer an LP with overly pronounced bottom end or high end. Me? I like all frequencies to be represented evenly with a nice round tone.

Really you should play it and decide for yourself....don't let the weight be the ultimate judgment. If you like the sound then that's reason enough.

• Members

My chambered LP Studio Faded gets plenty of outings due to it being far lighter than my Strat, and a bit lighter than my SG!

A really heavy LP, no matter how good it sounds, is just gonna hurt. My back was killing me before I got the LP - I thought it was the office job, slumped in front of a computer all day, but no, it was rocking out at night with heavy guitar :facepalm:

Something to bear in mind anyway. Maybe you're bigger and stronger than me though... Most people are!

• Moderators

Depends on your opinion. These are generalities but I would say somewhere from 8 to 11 is best, so yours would be good. But again it's not the only way you should be judging. What I would say is that LP's that don't fall in the 8 to 11 range may have unbalanced frequencies. Over powering highs or lows...or in the case of really heavy...just dead wood.

But then there may be people who prefer an LP with overly pronounced bottom end or high end. Me? I like all frequencies to be represented evenly with a nice round tone.

Really you should play it and decide for yourself....don't let the weight be the ultimate judgment. If you like the sound then that's reason enough.

I'd have to go along with this.

A lot of old school guys reckon that the 13-14lb Les Pauls were where it's it, but thats just plain wrong, they need tieing on the end of some heavy rope and flung off a boat as an anchor

The reason why the 58-59 LPs are the cult guitars they are is because they were made with light quality mahogany and had great necks.

Every chambered LP I've picked up has sounded great and they are mid high 7s, but yes non weight relieved guitars between 8-9.5lbs are the optimum

• Members

I'd have to go along with this.

A lot of old school guys reckon that the 13-14lb Les Pauls were where it's it, but thats just plain wrong, they need tieing on the end of some heavy rope and flung off a boat as an anchor

The reason why the 58-59 LPs are the cult guitars they are is because they were made with light quality mahogany and had great necks.

Every chambered LP I've picked up has sounded great and they are mid high 7s, but yes non weight relieved guitars between 8-9.5lbs are the optimum

Yeah I don't really think there is a set and fast rule to LP's but if I were buying one sight unseen I would try to get them in the range I said.

I have an Orville by Gibson that is very light for solid wood....maybe just under 8 pounds or so and it has great well rounded tone..but then so does my nearly 11 pound custom greco. Both of those are on the border line of a "good" LP but both pull it off...hence why I own them.

The one REALLY heavy 82 Les Paul custom I played...must have been over 12 pounds...was an absolute dog of a guitar. So that experience has made me never want one too outrageously heavy.

But who knows....I would bet there is a 12 + LP out there somewhere that sounds like an LP should. You just never know.

Archived