Needing a decent rig for not a lot of money

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'm thinking of getting back into electric playing again. For the amp I'm thinking of getting a Vox Valvetronix VT30 that someone is selling used locally for $170. I'm partial to Gibson style electrics and I want something with humbuckers, so I'm thinking of getting the Xaviere LP copy. So will this be a decent rig until I get my electric chops back, or does anyone have better suggestions?

• Members

I like the valvetronix and it should suit you. It's versatile and sounds great if you tweak it properly. Of course you know best what kind of overall sound you want.

Can't comment on that specific Xaviere model but, in general, GFS is great value for the money.

• Members

are you wanting just a small bedroom practice amp or something to mix with a band? For a bedroom practice amp, I can't speak highly enough for the Vox Pathfinder 15R and how good it sounds. If you need something with a little oomph, used Peavey Bandit 112's typically sell in the $150 range and used Peavey Classic 30 Combo's in the $300 range...I'm also partial to the older Crate Vintage Club series. I've had mine for 12 years and it's a great sounding reliable amp.

• Members

Seems like a pretty good rig.

Other options in guitar could be, Ibanez artcore or one of Rondo's Agile guitars. Yamaha also offers a lot of bang for the buck.

As far as an amp, it seems that we have entered a new era, quality amps for not a lot of money. The vox seems like a good idea though, you'll get built in FX and a variety of amp tones, that way you can find what you like. You can likely find a Fender Super Champ xd used for right at $200, maybe a little less, and that would be a really solid amp too.

The other option is to buy the pedal fx that you like and place them in front of one of the newer low cost tube amps, company's like Vox, Bugera, Blackstar, Vtx sell these lower wattage amps that work great for this approach. It is a more costly, but if you know just what you want, it is a great way to go versus the more generic on board FX that you'll find on a amp like the Vox Valvetronix or Super Champ, Line 6, etc.

My guess is that the latter approach is better suited for someone who has been at it for awhile.
Good Luck!

• Members

I am about to purchase myself a VT30. I love that amp, I have played the heck out of it at guitar center. As far as the guitar goes, yeah the Xavier will be solid, but I just cant stand the pointy cutaway. They will have better pickups, but IMO I cant compromise looks. Besides, I can always buy some pickups later.

Just my $0.02...not sure what that will buy you though :lol:

• Members

An amp in the same range as the VT30 is Fender's Super Champ XD, which is also a 1x10 with various amp models. Although the SC XD is a 15W, unlike the Vox with a single tube, the Fender has tubes in both preamp and gain stages and in my experience has been plenty loud for low-volume band playing. I'm very happy with mine. Somewhat ironically, I pretty much live on the Vox model (they can't call it that, but that's what it is) of the SC XD for distortion/overdrive.

I've seen lots of people happy with those Valvetronics, just giving food for thought.

Archived