Loud/brickwall commercials will soon be a thing of the past!!

scud133

• Members

You can ring your bank and get a recorded voice that tells you what your options are and it's annoying.

You can get a computer to try and judge relative sound levels and it's just as annoying.

When are we going to realise that there are some things a computer can do and things that ONLY humans can do.

I almost always prefer a well-designed (please note use of italics, bold and underlining -- for emphasis, eh? :D ) computer interface over having to interact with humans for most of the everyday business transactions we go through.

A well-designed voice menu system can be preferable to me to dealing with a human.

But, of course, most voice menu CRM is woefully awful.

And for out of the ordinary transactions or trouble shooting, being able to deal with a human can be really good. Or really bad. Depends on the human.

What drives me nuts are UIs -- like those of PayPal or Skype -- that simply seem to have no consistent coherent logic and which are like a maze of simple, happy colors and options that don't quite work to solve your problem or answer your question. Both of those institutions seem to trade on the value and breadth of their services -- because if they had to compete on ease of use of the customer service areas, they would certainly fail within two quarters. Three at the outside.

• Members

I almost always prefer a
well-designed
(please note use of italics, bold
and
underlining -- for emphasis, eh?
:D
) computer interface over having to interact with humans for most of the everyday business transactions we go through.

That's because you are a computer programmer and think like one. - I don't.

Archived