The difference a good setup makes

mockchoi

• Members

I bought my Les Paul new over 20 years ago, and it's always been a good guitar. I've also always done my own setups, it just doesn't seem that big of a deal to me to set string heights, intonation, truss rod adjustments, etc.

Anyway, the frets were starting to get a little worn, and I was starting to fret out on some upper fretboard bends, so I decided to treat the two of us to a professional setup.

All I can say is WOW...I had no idea. It's now bar non THE best playing guitar I've ever played. It just feels completely effortless now. Bends and vibrato are smooth as silk, there's not a hint of buzz anywhere on the neck, it sustains longer...notes just seem to jump off of it now. He conditioned the fretboard with something that feels so much nicer than what I usually use (Gibson Luthier's Choice conditioner.) I can't put the thing down.

Anyway, I have to give Denny Rauen at Rauen Guitars in Milwaukee a plug. I wish I knew his secrets.

• Members

I bought a new LP and gave my Strat to my tech to fix up both around the same time. When it came back it was pretty much like having two new guitars arrive at once!

He's a reluctant tech - he'd much rather be given a neck smashed in to three or more pieces to fix and refinish than a simple set up - more of a hobbyist! But I'm consistently amazed by the quality of his work.

• Members

I am really fortunate to know a master luthier, and when I say 'master,' that's exactly what he is. He had to study and build instruments to get that designation. He's reconstructed guitars that I would've tossed in the garbage, or the fireplace. He's done setups on many of my guitars, and they always come back great. There are a few guitars that I actually wouldn't have bought if I hadn't known this guy. He's really a cool guy, too; he doesn't charge me an arm and a leg, and he'll pick up and deliver the guitar to my door. I just hope he doesn't retire soon!

• Members

I know exactly what you mean-I just had my favorite Strat leveled, re-crowned and fully set up by a real tech instead of idiot me and it is amazing-I've spent more to ship things that I did this- I don't know whats wrong with me that I didn't do this a long time ago.

• Members

Every guitar benefits from a good setup. I see a lot of guys here playing straight from the box and they are seriously missing out, even with the most expensive gear.

Never forget to have the nut worked on. A well cut nut will improve most guitar's performance.

• Members

I think that's a big reason why I dislike so many guitars I play in bigger music stores - they just can't keep so many guitars set up properly. It's hard for me to get a feel for a guitar with rusty strings and ridiculously high or low action.

When my current set of Elixers wear out I'm going to try setting up my LP with the wraparound trick. I hear good things. It plays so nice now, though, I'm a little worried I'm going to totally screw it up, but I guess I can always undo it or take it in if I can't get it right.

Archived