Speculations on a new paul?

Vintage_freak

• Members

Ok so this is just idle speculation, but if Gibson have released a 50s and 60s tribute studio model, any chance they may do a 70s, and if so what are the features you would want?

For me it would be a 3pc maple neck and minibuckers.

Anyone got any ideas?

They quit beating around the bush and just literally make the guitar out of pancakes. Yeah, that'd be cool...

• Members

Laminated maple neck, pancake body, headstock volute, those weird winder things in the tuners, and it must weigh no less than 12 lbs. Finishes: natural, silverburst, tobacco sunburst. I would totally* buy this.

*never under any circumstances, I hate 70's Les Pauls

edit: Also a relic version that comes with a poorly-done Kahler or Floyd route, a brass nut, and a deep sense of shame

• Members

The Norlin years are a bad memory for me. I was priviledged(?) to be selling guitars in the '70's and some of the Gibsons at that time were atrocious. LP's with maple fretboards. :confused::mad: Thirty-seven piece necks and all the resonance of a chunk of sidewalk. I'm still laughing that silverburst Pauls are sort of hot now. We couldn't give those things away back then.

As much much as some of us dislike Henry J., maybe we should remember what he rescued us from.

• Members
The Norlin years are a bad memory for me. I was priviledged(?) to be selling guitars in the '70's and some of the Gibsons at that time were atrocious. LP's with maple fretboards.
:confused::mad:
Thirty-seven piece necks
and all the resonance of a chunk of sidewalk. I'm still laughing that silverburst Pauls are sort of hot now. We couldn't give those things away back then.

As much much as some of us dislike Henry J., maybe we should remember what he rescued us from.

Was that supposed to be sarcasm?

SGZTRWCH1-Features-Neck.jpg

• Members

Ok so this is just idle speculation, but if Gibson have released a 50s and 60s tribute studio model, any chance they may do a 70s, and if so what are the features you would want?

For me it would be a 3pc maple neck and minibuckers.

Anyone got any ideas?

No way, the 70's (Norlin era) quality was so inconsistent that there would be no reason to reissue them, the construction sucked (pancake bodies, maples necks, 3 piece tops, neck volute, massive headstocks), then the finishes were way too thick, and the introduction of the horrid Nashville bridge are too much to overcome.

I've owned many 70's LPs since 1977 and most of them have been horrible guitars, I got rid of all them because I was always able to find something better.

The only thing those 70's LPs had in common with a good Les Paul (52-60) and (87-Present) was the decal on the headstock other than that it was all wrong.

• Members

No way, the 70's (Norlin era) quality was so inconsistent that there would be no reason to reissue them, the construction sucked (pancake bodies, maples necks, 3 piece tops, neck volute, massive headstocks), then the finishes were way too thick, and the introduction of the horrid Nashville bridge are too much to overcome.

I've owned many 70's LPs since 1977 and most of them have been horrible guitars, I got rid of all them because I was always able to find something better.

The only thing those 70's LPs had in common with a good Les Paul (52-60) and (87-Present) was the decal on the headstock other than that it was all wrong.

To be fair, the volute wasn't really a bad idea and the Nashville bridge is a nice improvement over the ABR-1 and its silly wire retainer.

• Members

To be fair, the volute wasn't really a bad idea and the Nashville bridge is a nice improvement over the ABR-1 and its silly wire retainer.

I used to sand the volutes off and reshape the transition when I refinished them, I happen to like the ABR-1, I don't have a single LP with a Nashville anymore.

Archived