24" scale? Think I want a Jaguar.

Crunchtime

• Members

I've really been digging the look of the new Fender Blacktop Jaguar and think I want to get it. My concern is the 24" scale length.

I have guitars that are 24.75", 25", and 25.5" and like them all. I'm not sure which I prefer but, I do like to do some huge bends. I figure the 24" will be slinky but will it be too slinky? Are there any other things I should be concerned about ( tuning, intonation, odd tones ) ?

Thanks.

• Members

Perfect for Drop C, but if you really want a good, tight Drop C/B guitar, you really should look for a 22" or 23" scale.

;)

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too slinky as long as you're in standard. Although I feel like I'd hate how cramped it would feel.

I usually only play in standard or Drop D.

• Members

You can't do drop tunings on short scale guitars. There's just not enough tension on the strings.

I have two 24" guitars--AVRI Jaguar and Brian May Guitar, and I like them both. They are fun to play. You'll overshoot a fret now and then, but the distance is so minute when you spread it out over 24 frets (on the May) and 22 on the Fender. It works out to around 3/100 of an inch per fret difference from a 24.75" scale. So the real difference is going to be in string tension.

The Blacktop Jag should have no problems, assuming that it is setup nicely. There's no trem and the bridge is a rock solid TOM. As long as the nut is well cut and well maintained, it's gonna work fine. I love the look of that guitar! And I especially love the price.

• Members

I love 24" scale guitars. I've got an AVRI Jaguar and two Jagmasters and love all three. Also had a Mustang, but never got along with the tremolo, so I sold it. I usually play 25.5" guitars (Teles, Strats, JMs) and the transition is pretty easy between the two. You can definitely feel the difference, but I like both. Also, I use 9s on my 25.5" scale guitars and 10s on my 24" scale guitars and they feel pretty similar.

• Members

I love 24" scale guitars. I've got an AVRI Jaguar and two Jagmasters and love all three. Also had a Mustang, but never got along with the tremolo, so I sold it. I usually play 25.5" guitars (Teles, Strats, JMs) and the transition is pretty easy between the two. You can definitely feel the difference, but I like both. Also, I use
9s on my 25.5"
scale guitars and 10s on my 24" scale guitars and they feel pretty similar.

Jesus, I use 11's on my 25.5" and 12's on my 24.75"

• Members

I have two 24" guitars--AVRI Jaguar and Brian May Guitar, and I like them both. They are fun to play. You'll overshoot a fret now and then, but the distance is so minute when you spread it out over 24 frets (on the May) and 22 on the Fender. It works out to around 3/100 of an inch per fret difference from a 24.75" scale. So the real difference is going to be in string tension.

I have a BMG as well ..... 24" scale, 24 frets, using 9s (Ernie Ball, fwiw) .... very slinky feel, great great fun. Way different from an LP w/ 10s, but ... as it should be!!! There is a time and a place for everything....

• Members

You can't do drop tunings on short scale guitars. There's just not enough tension on the strings.

Sure you can. I did it with my old Jag all the time. You just have to use 12s instead of those wimptastic 9s, that so many players use, so they can do blooz bends.

To the OP - as long as you use heavier gauge strings, you shouldn't really ahve problems flubby strings on a Jag. Actually it's more of a medium scale guitar, than a short scale guitar. The fret spacing really doesn't feel that much different from a Gibson, which has a 24.75 inch scale length.

Archived