I love being unemployed...

bluesnapper

• Members

... ok, so I don't start back at work until next Monday. All my flatmates, neighbours... pretty much the whole street is out at work.

:rawk: LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD full-volume guitar practice. 18W of pure valve power rattling the windows! :love:

I don't normally need ear defenders for home practice. This week, however, I do! I couldn't play along with a CD cos my hi-fi volume doesn't go high enough

So that's how I spent this morning. So pleased with myself I had to tell someone! ;)

• Members

Here is the States, unemployment benefits used to short and the unemployed had to demonstrate that they were looking for work.

But with recent down-turn in the economy, those benefits have been extended to as much as 99 weeks and no agency has the resources to check-up on a worker to see if he is diligently job-searching. I have heard the the Federal government has also instructed the welfare workers to be much more liberal in the evaluations of clients, when it comes to determining who is eligible to receive benefits.

I've heard this extended unemployment referred to as, "Funemployment".

I am one of the Funemployed, but the benefits are running-out, so the party is over. It did allow more time for practice...

• Members

I graduated in May and have applied for over 200 jobs since then, actuarial science major with two professional exams passed on my own time, and I haven't had one piece of interest in me. I'm on food stamps and unemployment. Willing to work. Busting my ass to get a job. I don't consider filling out 10-15 job applications a day and making cold calls and sending e-mails to company managers to be funemployment. Nor do I enjoy thinking about the possibility of never getting a job, or getting a stigma for being unemployed so long and being relegated to the dust-bin of history.

That said, I am dicking around on a guitar forum at 11:25 in the morning....

• Members

I graduated in May and have applied for over 200 jobs since then, actuarial science major...

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of opportunities in your chosen field. I would have thought that Insurance industry related professions were almost recession-proof.

If I sounded a bit Devil-may-care in my original post, well I'm just trying to maintain my sanity in what is obviously the worse economy in my lifetime (as of yet) and since I'm over fifty, it will be doubly-hard to find work.

Who wants to employ a under-educated fifty-year old, when there's an army of 23 year-olds fresh out of college, fighting for work?

I may have to go to my fall-back position of becoming an adult-video actor.

• Members

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of opportunities in your chosen field. I would have thought that Insurance industry related professions were almost recession-proof.

If I sounded a bit Devil-may-care in my original post, well I'm just trying to maintain my sanity in what is obviously the worse economy in my lifetime (as of yet) and since I'm over fifty, it will be doubly-hard to find work.

Who wants to employ a under-educated fifty-year old, when there's an army of 23 year-olds fresh out of college, fighting for work?

I may have to go to my fall-back position of becoming an adult-video actor

Pics or it's a Chinese fake :poke:

• Members

Yeah, I wish that was the case. But basically two things happened at once over the last three years. The profession got a big PR boost and a lot more people started trying to get in, and the economy, well, you know that story. So Starting in 2008 fresh grads who only had one or two exams were getting overlooked for people with more experience or more exams, and 2008's rejects had a year to get more exams, and then 2009 had even more people in the over-looked category, and right now, even though there are 10-20 new entry level jobs every month in my niche, I'm competing with people who have been trying to get a job for two years and have gotten other work experience and exams passed since their first attempt. So it's pretty rough.

My big problem is that at some point my student loan debt is going to demand to be paid and I don't even have enough money for rent and electricity. I am going to be faced with taking a McJob or two to scrape by, and then I'll have a gap on my resume for however long that lasts.

• Members

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of opportunities in your chosen field. I would have thought
that Insurance industry related professions were almost recession-proof.

Nope the insurance industry is hit just as hard. I know it, I've been made redundant in may and haven't been able to find a job since then.

Thing is, some business have gone bust - don't need insurance then.

Business that are surviving are cutting their insurance costs too, either getting better deals or take some aspect of their insurance out and effectively "self insuring" parts of the risks.

Archived