Wall Mounting systems for guitars

MediaMan09

• Members

So I have a growing number of guitars and am getting a bit tired of all the guitar stands. Wall mounts are interesting alternatives, but on my basment wall, its a bit of a pain as I have metal studs vs wood studs, and there is a concrete wall behind that; it's generally a complete pain as even standard wall anchors are too long. The notion of perfectly placing and secruing six or so wall hooks into that wall to firmly hold guitars, is not appealing, Also if I later change my mind and I am kind of screwed.

When I was in the music store last night, they or course have many hanging from the wall or celing ...but they also had an area with a slotted wall, and sliding hooks for any vertical or horizontal postion. I think that might be perfect for me as I only need to secure/mount one item, and then have flexibility as to where/how I hang the guitars.

Here is a concept pic.

guitar_wall.jpg

As well the wainscotting below helps to secure the slotted wall system. I think I've seen these systems for garage tools as well.

QUESTIONS

1) I tried google, but cannot seem to find these guitar mount wall systems. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2) Also, is it fact or fiction that hanging guitars like this, ie by the neck (as is done in most storres) is actually a bad thing long term, as the full weight of the guitar is pulling down on the neck ( vs a floor mount alternative)

Many thanks

• Members

I believe those are called slatwall hangars. Companies like hercules, stringswing, onstage, etc make holders that fit into the groove.

Here's a company that sells slatwall stuff for retail stores

http://www.displaywarehouse.com/showitems.asp?deptcode1=501

Here's stringswing stuff:

https://www.stringswing.com/products/product_listing.php?category=15

if you're going to go thru that trouble, pony up the extra dough for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-GSP39SB-Electric-Guitar-Slatwall/dp/B001B7RA4A

good luck and post pics when you're done! keep in mind you can sometimes find this stuff used from stores going out of business and liquidating their inventory/store fixtures.

• Members

Great stuff, many thanks .'Slatwall" indeed was the key

I found these at Home Depot. I thnk it might work if I get 4 pieces and create a 96" x 24" area to work with.

Can I assume all slottable guitar wall mount hooks are standard - ie that the amazon and other guitar wall hooks fit these slats?

• Members

I just got through a wall mount project using slatwall. I bought a full sheet of slatwall from Lowes for about $40 and had them cut it down to 6ft and ripped into 3 16" panels. I mounted one panel straight into the studs and used Hercules slatwall hangers (GSP40SB). Bought the hangers from World Music Supply - decent enough price and offered a quantity discount for 4 or more. Overall, the setup looks and works great - no complaints.

• Members

used Hercules slatwall hangers (GSP40SB). Bought the hangers from World Music Supply

1) Just noticed that some slatwall hangers use the term "Acoustic Guitar Hanger", some say A/G ( I assume thats acoustic guitar) and some say electric or nothing at all.Are there indeed difference between hangers for use with acoustic vs electric guitars?

Eg, LA Music Web site:

Hercules GSP39SB Acoustic Guitar Hanger Short

GSP39SB.jpg

(also advertised on
Amazon
as "Hercules GSP39SB Electric Guitar Slatwall Hanger"

Hercules GSP40SB A/G Guitar Hanger

GSP40SB.jpg

2) Also, what is the pupose of the hole in the hanger? Its not accessible if used in a slatwall system. Is it meant for a DIY arrangement where you just mount a single run of lumber (no slats) on a wall and install the hanger so it sits on the the top edge?

• Members

I'm leaning toward the Hercules GSP39SB (right prices soze and quality), but am a little confused about the slatwall panels themselves.

The Home Depot variety (top left) has each slat orriented the same way (up) ...other types slat panels have a "pair" of opposite slats .

For those that have used the Hercules GSP39SB, in which type of panel was it used in????

herc.jpg

Archived