Question : bridge/fretboard radius

bonaventura

• Members

I have a couple guitars with 14" board and 12" bridge. It doesn't bother me but I've not been able to find one either.

I suspect you'll have to either go with a Fender style hardtail or
file your saddles
accordingly.

That's the only way to get a 14" radius TOM, you shape the saddles, similar to putting on a new acoustic saddle.

• Members

shame on tom makers not catering >12" radius players :mad:

thanks a bunch thickmike :thu:

so filing seems to be an alternative, but wont filing the saddles breaks the finish :confused: ? just asking since some sellers are quite proud of 3 layers of chrome they put in the bridge.

• Members
shame on tom makers not catering >12" radius players
:mad:

thanks a bunch thickmike
:thu:

so filing seems to be an alternative, but wont filing the saddles breaks the finish
:confused:
? just asking since some sellers are quite proud of 3 layers of chrome they put in the bridge.

Yes. If it's nickel- or chrome-plated brass, you'll see the brass. But many these days use stainless steel. And my favorite is Graphtech saddles.

• Members

That's the only way to get a 14" radius TOM, you shape the saddles, similar to putting on a new acoustic saddle.

The Schaller roller bridge at Stewmac isnt the traditional style Tune-o-matic if thats what your looking for but it is 14". If you have a set of radius gauges you'll see that the difference between a 12" and 14" radius is pretty small. You can easily use a 12" bridge and cut your string slots just slightly deeper on the outer strings. If you use the correct files you shouldn't see the difference with the strings on if thats a concern.

Archived