Mexican Buddy Guy Strat?

_Idioteque_

• Members

I went in to the local shop on the basis of trying out a few guitars, mainly strats, to purchase when student loans come in(found out I wouldn't have to rebuy insurance or tags on my new car, so i got a lotta money free), and there was a mexican made strat labeled a "buddy guy" strat. dont' remember the finish(wasn't polkadot, either a solid color or a burst), but it had locking tuners and lace gold pickups. All pretty standard fare, didn't stand out too much, but one thing did: the neck.

I

FELL

IN

LOVE

WITH THAT FREAKING NECK! 9.5 radius soft v profile! Oh my god, I've never played one with that neck before and it fit PERFECTLY! I tried to do some internet diggin and couldn't find anything on it, except the US model. Anyone have info on it?

EDIT:Also, does anyone know if there are other soft v necked fenders that aren't strats? like a jazzmaster?

• Members

You sure it was MIM?

The regular US production BG sigs had Lace PUs (plus a Clapton-style active midboost circuit) and were either 3T SB or Olympic White with a tort 'guard. (In fact they were VERY similar to the Mk 1 ECs, other than the finishes).

AFAIK, the MIM BGs had regular passive singlecoils and were nly availble with the polka-dot finish.

I could be wrong ... but it sounds like the US version to me. How much did they want for it? If they're charging MIM prices, seems like you could be getting a bargain ...

• Members

I went in to the local shop on the basis of trying out a few guitars, mainly strats, to purchase when student loans come in(found out I wouldn't have to rebuy insurance or tags on my new car, so i got a lotta money free)

I hate to break it to you but if the money is coming from a student loan then it is in no way "free money". Last I checked loans have to be repaid.

• Members

I hate to break it to you but if the money is coming from a student loan then it is in no way "free money". Last I checked loans have to be repaid.

It's free until you have to repay it. In the UK, you don't pay a penny until you earn a fair wage, and even then the interest only follows inflation. Not sure how it differs in the US, but we (students) see it as free money for now, anyway. :thu:

• Members

money free, not free money. besides that, i can get it extended 10 years after graduation.

anyways, it said mim on the headstock, but had all of the parts of the american version. $750 was their asking price, so i don't know if they threw it together with parts or what.

• Members

money free, not free money. besides that, i can get it extended 10 years after graduation.

Yep. Definitely sounds like a super smart decision there - go into debt more than you need to so that you can buy a guitar that you not only know next to nothing about, but couldn't afford normally.

Excellent life choice, right there.

• Members

anyways, it said mim on the headstock, but had all of the parts of the american version. $750 was their asking price, so i don't know if they threw it together with parts or what.

It's still a bone head move. That {censored} adds up. Look at some loan amortization curves and you'll see what I mean. It takes years of payments before you even start to make a dent in the principle on a sizable loan. You'll end up paying almost twice as much for the guitar over the life of the loan.

• Members

It's half subsidized and half not, and the interest rate is unbelievably low. I took out 5500 total, and overall I'll probably be paying about 6000-6500 back, which can be extended a ton after im out of school with an associates that gives me $33/hour job options.

Is that the point of this board AND the effects board? To focus on the non-related and unimportant part of a post and discuss it even when you don't know {censored} about it?

Archived