Carvin CT6 VS Les Paul Standard and PRS Custom 22

asatnutz

• Members

I've played a lot of Les Pauls over my 20 years of playing, and I've played a lot of PRS guitars as well.. Never played a CT6 I'm afraid, but I've got a CT4 on order.. So what's that say about my opinion of Gibson and PRS vs. the Carvin?

Don't know-is something lacking in the Gibsons and PRS's?

I'd like to try one of the Carvins, but that's the catch-you can't really. I really loved the Prs Sc245 I played. Don't have a Prs and that's really the only one that's bowled me over. LP's-you've just gotta try'em-each one's different.

• Members

I played a Carvin. Can't remember the model, but it was a rounded shreddy sort of thing. Felt nice, looked nice, but lifeless. Can't recall ever playing more than that one, but the experience was vanilla enough to put me off them for a while.

Played several Les Pauls. Look nice-ish, but usually have some finish or playability issues from my limited experience. The sound is a bit muddy for my taste as well.

I've played PRS Standards and Customs. Never really dug 'em. They're hot as all getout and incredibly easy to play, but I never really got into the sound. I LOVE their Hollowbodies, though.

If you're looking for something in the general LP direction, why not look into Heritage?

• Members

Don't know-is something lacking in the Gibsons and PRS's?

I'd like to try one of the Carvins, but that's the catch-you can't really. I really loved the Prs Sc245 I played. Don't have a Prs and that's really the only one that's bowled me over. LP's-you've just gotta try'em-each one's different.

Nope, nothing lacking about them at all. Carvin is just that much better, IMHO.. As I said, Iv'e never played a CT, but I've played several DCs over the years and they were declious.. Absolutely flawless guitars. "Lifeless" is the very last word I'd apply to them.. Matter of fact, since I posted in this thread the first time, I've ordered a new DC127T... I can't fault Warrior for thinking they were vanilla, cuz I get a similar impression from most PRS.. It all comes down to personal taste. As for not trying them, the easiest way to try one is to buy an in-stock.. Enjoy it for the 10 day trial then send it back and get a custom done if you dig it..

• Members

...I can't fault Warrior for thinking they were vanilla, cuz I get a similar impression from most PRS...

Oh, I agree with you if you're talking about Standards and Customs. McCartys and Hollowbodys are a completely different thing, in my experience. I'm kinda curious about more of their line as well, considering my Hollowbody Spruce is one of the great loves of my life.

I didn't get on with one Carvin, but I might give their SC a try at some point if they offer it in an all-mahogany config. Really no risk that way.

Then again, I might just get a used Mira, McCarty or SaS ;).

• Members

That CS is getting rave reviews. I personally don't really dig the look of it, but it hangs well with the PRS Singlecut...

Saw a white CS3 on the Carvin board that was kinda cool. Still isn't something I'd want to own, but I'd love to play one.

Edit: Found it:

1470_DSCN0574_1.jpg

• Members

I was thinking along the lines of a CT6 model. They had a Black one on the list a week ago that had a natual wood binding on the top. Just Gorgoues for $1200.00. I almost pulled the trigger but wasn't convinced it was the smart thing to do. One of the salespeople I have been speaking with says that 75% of the PRS owners who Play a Carvin end up selling there PRS and buying a Carvin. He says they never look back. I want to believe him..... I just like the look and finish. PRS has disappointed me as have the Gibsons of late.

• Members

I've owned a few LPs over the last 30+ yrs and I now own a CT6C and I have a CS6 on the way next week..

Now, any guitar manufacturer can produce a stinker. But if you get a good CT, and I believe I have, it will stack up against anything in the same vein.. Meaning a Mahogany 22 fret 2HB platform.. That includes anything made by Gibson or Paul Reed Smith

Ct6008.jpg

• Members

No, I haven't seen the thread.. I did know you pulled the trigger on a CT tho.. They're incredible instruments! Upper fret access is better on my CT6C than it is on my BoltPlusC.. I'm playing my CT6C & Washburn N4 pretty much exclusively now:cool:

• Members

It's kinda funny...I was just talking to a guy last night who had played a PRS for years, but wants to sell it, because it just doesn't do it for him.

Me, I won't trade my CT6Ms for ANYTHING (like the one that's in my lap right now).

• Members

No, I haven't seen the thread.. I did know you pulled the trigger on a CT tho.. They're incredible instruments! Upper fret access is better on my CT6C than it is on my BoltPlusC.. I'm playing my CT6C & Washburn N4 pretty much exclusively now:cool:

No dude, I pulled another trigger.. This time it's a white DC127T, same specs as the DC400T that went back.. They're building 2 of the suckers for me right now..

• Members

No dude, I pulled another trigger.. This time it's a white DC127T, same specs as the DC400T that went back.. They're building 2 of the suckers for me right now..

Sheeesh:cop: You're worse than I am:lol: BoltPlusC in Nov.. CT6C in Jan.. N4 in Feb and a CS6 very soon.. I'm gonna chill for a lil while after this.. There ARE certain advantages to remaining married:thu:

• Members

Which do you thing is better built, has the best pickups and best action ?

Better built: Carvin or PRS. Both those companies have one quality tier - killer. Gibson, all over the map.

Pickups: Purely subjective.

Playability/action: Carvin. PRS second, but has a nasty heel if that matters to you. Always hated the 'train tracks' squared fret treatment they give LPs.

Quality of materials? Gotta give Carvin the nod here too.

Just depends on what you want. Want a 'none-better' guitar with great value and questionable resale? Carvin. Want a none-better guitar with 'curb-appeal' that will cost a lot more but maintain resale? PRS. Want a 'who-the-hell-knows-what-quality-I'll-get' guitar with curb appeal and the best resale of all three? Buy the LP.

• Members

Which do you thing is better built, has the best pickups and best action ?

I've had all three of the guitars you've mentioned (actually a CT4, but same difference). Quality is about equal ... I think it comes down to preference. If you dig figured wood & a semi-custom piece, you can NOT beat the Carvin, but the neck contour is one size fits all & it does NOT fit me. I'm all about the Gibson big neck. I ultimately tried to get the PRS & Carvin to sound like my LP's ... couldn't get there. To me, if you like LEs Pauls, nothing else will do ... PERIOD. It took me alot of money to figure this out, so take it for what its worth (I do know a little about this from first hand experience).

HT

• Members

To me, if you like LEs Pauls, nothing else will do ... PERIOD. It took me alot of money to figure this out, so take it for what its worth (I do know a little about this from first hand experience).

HT

he's right. these are all great axes but if you want one more than the others don't mess around - get that one even if it takes years to find the exact one you want, go shopping regularly and you'll know it when you play it.

might as well throw in used usa Hamers, Heritages, and Deans (models: Hardtail and soltero) to the mix of uber high quality usa made double humbucker mahogany/maple guitars - thats just to make things more complicated for ya :)

perhaps you would prefer the 25" scale length of the carvin and the prs over the 24.75" scale length of the gibson, hamer, dean, heritage or the other way around? perhaps that can help you choose.

• Members

I've owned and played many PRSi, LP's, and Carvin's.

If you REALLY want an LP sound and playability... get an LP.

Find a nice one, or a nice used one, and it will love you long time.

Both Carvin's and PRS's play and sound great.

They both play "easier", expecially in the higher registers.

They don't really have the "true LP sound", but they have great sounds of their own. But there is an obvious difference.

I kept my McCarty, and it's my favorite PRS model. Sold a Standard 24... nice guitar but I didn't LOVE it.

Sold beautiful Carvin's... but enjoyed owning them... whoever has them now probably LOVES them. I wanted other sounds.

Regularly play my '83 LP ebony Standard. No quilt top... but GREAT sound, and I put up with the reduced playability. It's a heavy, challenging beast... but it gets PLAYED all the time because it's THAT SOUND.

I gotta have it... do you?

M

• Members

I'm selling my Les Paul and buying a Carvin. I'm going to order it today. I have never owned a solid mahogany body like the CT3 and was wanted to know what the sound is like compared to the maple top. Let me know what you know. I'm going to order a Black top with white C22 J&B pick ups, black bezels, no inlays on the neck, string thru body with tunomatic bridge, gold hardware, laquired neck and jumbo stainless frets. You're suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Archived