Favourite Led Zep Album

Guitar_Dan

• Moderators

I personally don't find any of their albums perfect. .

I think I'd agree, but I'd qualify it by saying that I don't find any of their albums perfect at any one time, as I've drifted in an out of Zep songs in a weird fickle chick type a way, one day I do, the next I don't.

All that said I can usually listen to PG and Houses all the way through without hitting skip

• Members

Not a CD, but I love their 1979 Knebworth performance (which apparently was also be their final performance before Bonzo died) from their collection of live performances DVD from 2003.

They seem rejuvenated, and tighter than ever, proving that they really were one of the best live acts around. The performance is energetic and raucous, yet they play some of their most complex material seemlessly.

Thankfully, this show was filmed for posterity and rock history.

• Moderators

Not a CD, but I love their 1979 Knebworth performance (which apparently was also be their final performance before Bonzo died) from their collection of live performances DVD from 2003.

They seem rejuvenated, and tighter than ever, proving that they really were one of the best live acts around. The performance is energetic and raucous, yet they play some of their most complex material seemlessly.

Knebworth was actually two gigs on succeeding weekends and although I have the opinion you do, there are many who don't rate those performances as either relevant or good:idk:

• Members

There's a whole Knebworth show from 1979,and it's not remastered and mixed like that one from DVD.Songs are almost completely different.Solos on DVD are mixed and combined from those two shows that they had(the best parts were used),that's why it sounds so good.

Like that Immigrant song on Disc 2,the sound is from the show from Long Beach Arena(How The West Was Won CD),and the video is from Sidney.

• Members

Yep, I agree. It was the first album I heard and it's still my favorite.
:thu:

III was a huge influence on my playing though. I dove deep into my acoustic when I first heard that one.

Yeah I don't mind III either, but that turned out to be their worst seller in their first six albums, probably only because of the drastic change in style from I & II

• Members

I'm no expert (but this is the internet, so I can act like I'm one) but, listening to them all with fresh ears many years removed from their creation, it seems like

Now this is all post-hoc-Monday-morning quarterbacking, but to me it's almost like they made three (multipart) albums (and an EP, i.e. LZ III) -- the 1st showed the energy and excitement of a new idea blooming; 2nd showed the most musicianship and depth; and the 3rd was from masters who had honed their craft and were in a groove, who had nothing to prove, and could knock 'em out of the park without trying. (And thus were, to some extent, phoning it in---but not in a bad way.)

I've got to admit that (my) age has a lot to do with how I see the albums; I was finishing high school when "In Through the Out Door" came out, so (like "Some Girls") that's the album that made the strongest impression on me, as it was in play when I was most ready for it.

Now I'd pick III, or graffiti, or presence (or exile, or let it bleed, or beggars banquet) over "In Through the Out Door" as what I put on first, but at the time, the (not so simple) pop of "Fool in the Rain", which on the face of it was very top-40, introduced this kid to new rhythms, new guitar sounds, and that great drumming after the samba break, and had the biggest and longest effect on me.

(Even more so than "stairway". Sorry, Jim.)

Archived