Patriot by Peavey Electric Guitar? should i take it or leave it?

br3akd0wn4

• Members

I am planning to buy an American Patriot by Peavey guitar this December.. is this guitar good? coz the seller offers it to me good.. he said its a collectors item/vintage and its a nice guitar.. should i take it?

heres a picture of it.. its not it, but it looks exactly like that..

0040_1_lg.jpg

what do u think guys? :idea:

• Members

The going price for the single pickup ones is in the $100 range, $150 at the most, so if it is in that range and you like it, go for it. They're decent guitars.

I've only played one, but it was nothing to write home about. I've owned a few other 1970s/80s Peavey guitars (T-60, Predator, T-15) and I prefer all of those to the one Patriot I've played, for whatever that is worth.

• Members

Agree with the previous poster, a fair price for a single-pickup Patriot in good condition is about $100. I think $150 is too much. It is in no way a "collector's item"--there are lots of these on the used market.

I own one of the fixed-bridge, dual-pickup models. I find it a really comfortable guitar to play, but there are issues. The tilt-neck system is just a bad idea; you can usually get these necks set up decently, but they're much more trouble to get right than ordinary set necks (at least the trem bridge has height adjustment screws that help with setup). The original design puts the string tree (on the headstock) way too low; you should back out the screw some (you may need to get a longer screw) or else you'll have tuning problems because the strings are sticking at the tree.

These are decent guitars, and probably better than most of what you can get in the $100 price range, but if you're just looking for something to play, a Yamaha Pacifica 112 can be found in the same price range, and is overall a better bet, just because it's easier to set up.

Archived