Strat wiring - how did I mess this up?

ten56gibby

• Members

First, I wired the switch backwards :facepalm:

Next, I somehow messed this up too... positions 1&2 sound like 2... 4&5 both sound like 4. :freak:

I gotta say, although I have messed up with wiring 3 times now, I'm still a bit proud. I built myself a partscaster Strat :D My first assembly ever. And it's not bad (once I get the wiring figured out). I'm gonna go get started taking the strings and pickguard off while hopefully some can help me out.

• Members

1st off, don't ever put everything back together until you you first test everything out. To test the pickups just tap a pole piece with something metal (like a screwdriver)....it will be very obvious if it's on or not.

Yeah - I should've done that. But even so, that method wouldn't have helped me in this particular situation since all positions have signal, just strange ones. This has been one giant learning experience. I actually went by the diagram below. One volume, one tone - and the knob nearest the strings is a dumby knob. I accidentally would hit that knob constantly (I'm a Tele guy :o)

wiringdiagram.jpg

and here's the Strat :cool:

500752595_photobucket_28111_.jpg

500752595_photobucket_28112_.jpg

• Members

Yeah - I should've done that. But even so, that method wouldn't have helped me in this particular situation since all positions have signal, just strange ones.

It would have still helped as you could have verified which PUP(s) were on in each position. I don't solder the jack until I've verified EVERYTHING with the loaded pickguard is working exactly as desired.

Oh, just finished working on a very similar strat except that it has a maple fretboard. I installed some vintage noiseless pups, replaced the pots/switch, cut a new bone nut, level/crown/dressed the frets, and added a brass block to a friend's strat.

• Members

Oh, just finished working on a very similar strat except that it has a maple fretboard. I installed some vintage noiseless pups, replaced the pots/switch, cut a new bone nut, level/crown/dressed the frets, and added a brass block

I'll be looking to do all of those things as soon as I feel like I've got the basics down well enough to conquer that pro stuff (fret dressing, nut cutting, etc)

Archived