Do Wilkinson bridges stay in tune like Floyds?

lincoln40

• Members

I like locking tuners but that seems to be a matter or personal opinion in regards to tuning stability...

I've had good results with two-point trems...a graphite nut (or similar)...and roller string trees (if necessary)...

As ermghoti said above...the nut really needs to be well cut and your tuners need to be stable and appropriately wound with the string if they're not locking...

Complete abuse of the trem will likely knock things slightly out of tune...but the above steps really provide for a stable tune with non-locking trem use for the average player...

• Members

I've had about 5 guitars with the Wilkinson trem, but I'm a pretty subtle trem user.

To answer your question, it is very very unlikely that a slightly improved version of the basic Fender design of a non-locking trem will stay in tune as well as a double locking Floyd will. It has much less to do with the design of the trem than it does that with the Floyd, there is basically nowhere for the string to bind. The effective string stops at the nut when it's locked and a brass roller saddle isn't likely to offer much resistence.

:idk:

The Wilkinson is great, but it's no Floyd. If you wanna grab a guitar by the bar and shake it around, go with a Floyd.

• Members

I'm a little confused by you saying you dont want to have to do any routing. To install a Wilkinson, you have to have a rear route. It has the block, springs, claw just like a Floyd. Why not just install a non recessed Floyd? Shouldnt be too hard/expensive to install the trem posts and locking nut. Seen quite a few people on the web who have done this with their strat. I did have a Charvel journeyman that had a wilkinson style trem and after installing locking tuners, it stayed in tune pretty well, still not as good as a Floyd though.

Archived