Glenn Tipton: Colossus of Metal

akaiser77

• Members

Glenn Tipton didn't start playing guitar until he was 21 y.o. Six years later he was recording his first album with Priest.

Kerry King has repeatedly called him the greatest guitarist and songwriter in metal history.

Apart from all of his collaborative writing with KK and Rob, Glenn has also written many Priest classics entirely on his own, including "Hell Bent for Leather," "The Ripper," "Killing Machine," and "Running Wild," among others.

This is Jeff Waters from Annihilator on why Glenn Tipton is the greatest metal guitarist of all time:

"Glenn Tipton, along with partners KK Downing and Rob Halford, has come up with the most killer metal riffing, with elite, groundbreaking, original songwriting, and with blues-influenced lead guitar shredding. Judas Priest and Tipton's work are arguably more worthy of the term metal than any other, with Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath their only close rivals.

"Some notable all-around guitar gems from early Priest records would be 'Victim of Changes,' 'The Sentinel,' 'Hell Bent for Leather,' and 'Electric Eye.' A turning point for Glenn seemed to happen in 1990 with the Painkiller record. Drummer Scott Travis told me that as soon as Glenn heard his former Racer X guitar pal Paul Gilbert play, Glenn's own playing and practicing went through the roof--as you can hear on the title track's long, shredding masterpiece solo.

"While he's certainly not the cleanest, fastest, or most technical player, this man is a legend to players who got into metal in the late '70s and '80s. Kids of today may be playing his licks without knowing it. Anyone who jams along to Arch Enemy, Annihilator, Children of Bodom, and many others may be playing a Tipton (or Downing) lick.

"So--to the younger generation of metal guitar players and to fans who may not be totally familiar with Glenn Tipton's playing, go get every Judas Priest CD you can find. If you can learn his licks, understand his songwriting skills, and be influenced by his killer riffing and methods of putting it all together, then you'll be a great player yourself."

I'm a fan.

AK

Freewheel Burning:

The Ripper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NomJuAkoA&feature=related

Screaming for Vengeance:

Victim of Changes:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He is BY FAR the most underrated guitarist of all time, especially in metal. And it infuriates me when he's left off ANY list. I point to two examples: his solos on "Beyond the realms of Death" and "All Guns Blazing."

In case you guys didn't know, Priest announced today they are embarking on their FINAL world tour next year. :(

[video=youtube;F2i1dinm3UE]

[video=youtube;Gye3KThIvxw]

• Members

Painkiller is one of the Top 5 metal albums of all time. From start to finish...it's insane. And, I'm glad the OP posted Jeff Waters' comments. I didn't realize that's why Glenn's playing seemed to advance ten-fold for that album. I'd like to see ANYONE play his "All Guns..." solo. It's impossible (I wonder if GLENN can even do it today).

• Members

Painkiller is one of the Top 5 metal albums of all time. From start to finish...it's insane. And, I'm glad the OP posted Jeff Waters' comments. I didn't realize that's why Glenn's playing seemed to advance ten-fold for that album. I'd like to see ANYONE play his "All Guns..." solo. It's impossible (I wonder if GLENN can even do it today).

I'm glad you liked the Jeff Waters quote. It took me a long time to type it up! :)

Glenn was, of course, shredding long before Painkiller. But the sweep picking frenzy didn't start until that particular album.

• Members

I'm glad you liked the Jeff Waters quote. It took me a long time to type it up!
:)

Glenn was, of course, shredding long before Painkiller. But the sweep picking frenzy didn't start until that particular album.

Yeah, when I heard the solo in the song painkiller, I thought "holy shit, when the fuck did he learn to do that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

• Members

Interesting you mention Kerry King, as I thought I'd mention a similar person.

Jeff Hanneman. When Slayer started, Kerry King had been playing for five years. Jeff Hanneman started playing to be in Slayer (I think he'd been doodling for like six months before that.) Hanneman wrote most of Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, and the other good Slayer albums. Once Kerry took over songwriting, Slayer became way less good.

So, yeah. Jeff Hanneman had been playing for five years when he wrote and recorded Raining Blood.

Yet for some reason, Kerry King seems to be more respected.

• Members

Jeff Hanneman. When Slayer started, Kerry King had been playing for five years. Jeff Hanneman started playing to be in Slayer (I think he'd been doodling for like six months before that.) Hanneman wrote most of Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, and the other good Slayer albums. Once Kerry took over songwriting, Slayer became way less good.

So, yeah. Jeff Hanneman had been playing for five years when he wrote and recorded Raining Blood.

Dude, I'm sorry.... Don't EVER compare those two guys with anyone from Judas priest or any other band for that matter. I've been a Slayer fan for 20+ years and enjoy them a lot. But I've seen them live, including over the summer with Megadeth. And to borrow a phrase from a former VP candidate, I know Judas Priest and Glenn Tipton, and the guys in Slayer ain't no Judas Priest nor Glenn Tipton. It's almost embarrassing how BAD Jeff and Kerry are. I mean BAD. I hate to say it, but I can never see them again because of how bad they play. Glenn Tipton could play a better solo missing both hands while sleeping than either Slayer guy could. Ever.

Peace out. :)

• Members

Dude, I'm sorry.... Don't EVER compare those two guys with anyone from Judas priest or any other band for that matter. I've been a Slayer fan for 20+ years and enjoy them a lot. But I've seen them live, including over the summer with Megadeth. And to borrow a phrase from a former VP candidate, I know Judas Priest and Glenn Tipton, and the guys in Slayer ain't no Judas Priest nor Glenn Tipton. It's almost embarrassing how BAD Jeff and Kerry are. I mean BAD. I hate to say it, but I can never see them again because of how bad they play. Glenn Tipton could play a better solo missing both hands while sleeping than either Slayer guy could. Ever.

Peace out.
:)

Yeah but Slayer has a normal singer. Slayer wins

• Members

Yes, there's no denying that Jeff has written many classic metal songs--at least as many as Kerry! I like Jeff's work c. '86-'90 a lot.

Archived