more bad news at disneyland?

MartinC

• Members

I'm in the happiest place on earth with my kids, but I have a feeling that it may not be so happy for musicians. In "downtown disney" tonight, every hundred yds or so, there is a musician playing-usually one or two guys with a backing track and a table set up with cd's for sale. Most of the acts were good to excellent, but the emphasis on cd sales, with a separate person manning the cd table, smelled to me like a non paying gig. Now I think many players would love to have that audience, but I wonder if disney pays these acts. Anyone know?

• Members

I played Disney back in 92. I was on a show called Star Search that was taped there, my band enjoyed 7 weeks of national TV air and almost a month all expenses paid at Disney World. We gigged on the payroll at Pleasure Island on the "Big Stage"... i talked to everyone, comedians, actors, singers, musicians, artists, ect... everyone gets paid a salary with benefits. everyone is told what to wear. the dating, smoking, work ethics are enforced with a heavy hand. They have to be carful because even what they say can lead to being fired. there is NO disney entertainers union. The artists that sell their CDs and art are allowed to do by merit and they pay Disney a percentage of each sale. Each artist/vendor has to report a daily sales audit. It really didn't look like a lot of fun to me, although i had an AMAZING fun time!

• Moderators

I am assuming you are in the Anaheim 'resort area', outside the park, correct? I believe the street musicians are working with a 'permit system', and are not paid by the Disney people. Only the in-park entertainers get paid by Disney and they are highly selective as to the acts they hire.

• Members

Yeah Daddy, Downtown Disney is what it's called. There was a few bands in the park that were good, but it's clear they also regulate and benefit from the acts in downtown disney, who seem to get only cd sales for their efforts. LAME!!!!

• Members

Wow, sounds like great exposure and opertunity to market yourself.

Depends on your point of view. One of the artists was a very good violinist. Graduate of julliard. Veteran of some major orchestras, gigs with various household names, but there he is playing for free. He was selling cd's -I have no idea how many, but probably enough to justify his time. playing covers, warhorses. Some other guys were not selling much or attracting much attention.

Every player I heard was pretty good.

Archived