The great Les Paul Jr. Project

guitarheo3

• Members

well you countersink the holes so the screws go below the surface. then you shorten up the screws so tey don't go through the fret board. i did this with a pair of linemans pliers. and you put glue in the pocket and screw the neck on and fill the holes that the screws went into. so it's like a bolt on still but looks like a set neck. guitarnoobie and sxyryan did a good job. here's their pics(little better than mine):

sewtneck3.jpg
setneck.jpg
i sanded the filler flat just now looking pretty cool
:thu:

I see. Very clever. But mine has a big metal plate on it instead of screwing directly into the wood. Does yours?

Also, how come you didn't take the neck off to work on the headstock?

• Members

I see. Very clever. But mine has a big metal plate on it instead of screwing directly into the wood. Does yours?

Also, how come you didn't take the neck off to work on the headstock?

mine did too. just took the plate off and the holes wereunderneath. and i was in a rush and wanted to set the neck haha then it occured to me i should have waited :facepalm:

• Members

If that were mine I would have glued a block onto the back of the neck and shaped it so the heel would have looked right.

If you want a correct template for the PG I can take a big pic for you. Plexiglass works fine. Paint the flip side and countersink your holes.

Best thing would to be find an old typewriter case or something and cut it out of that.

I would have sent you a Gibson headstock template. Wish I would have known.

• Members

i play metal alot too. i was thinkig of a mean 90 from gfs to match the jr-esque style. but that's why i'm adding a coilsplit so i can have the best of both worlds
:thu::wave:

it looks killer! both i don't think i have enough wood to do it. i was a dumbass and cut the headstock down almost to the tuners
:facepalm:
:facepalm:

P6070490-1.jpg

Mean 90's ROCK!

-gk

• Members

If that were mine I would have glued a block onto the back of the neck and shaped it so the heel would have looked right.

If you want a correct template for the PG I can take a big pic for you. Plexiglass works fine. Paint the flip side and countersink your holes.

Best thing would to be find an old typewriter case or something and cut it out of that.

I would have sent you a Gibson headstock template. Wish I would have known.

ya i saaw other guys gluibg a block but i

actually like the shelf bolt ons have, i

put my thumb there. and if you could send

a template thatd be killer! ill keep my eye out for a typwriter case. goib yardsalin tomorrow so maybe. thanx for the help! :wave::thu:

• Members

so went to a couple yard sales and found a typewriter case.. including the typewriter itself for $50 and passed. but i did pick up this plastic paper organizer that looks about the right thickness for the guard. so i'll see how that works out but i'm still keeping my eye out :thu:

• Members

LMAO @ typewriter case!

DUMBEST IDEA.....EVER!

Dude just buy a large cheap garbage can with enough flat mass to cut your pickguard out of. There's literally dozens of cheap plastic products out there with the right color and texture to be cut into pickguards, control cavities, pickup rings etc.

• Members

LMAO @ typewriter case!

DUMBEST IDEA.....EVER!

Dude just buy a large cheap garbage can with enough flat mass to cut your pickguard out of. There's literally dozens of cheap plastic products out there with the right color and texture to be cut into pickguards, control cavities, pickup rings etc.

ya.. that's why i was considering the trash can idea. i'm still keeping my eye out for something.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

so i wet sanded and assembled today. waiting on pickup. i've decided to go ahead and get a mean 90. dont know what color. black or chrome? idunno. damn, this thing took forever! finally i'll have an awesome punker (? :facepalm:) had to install the tuners upsidedown so they would fit. decided to just leave it satin.

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

sorry for blurry pics. i would think a whole semester of photojournalism would help...guess not :facepalm::lol:

• Members

Cut the top off flat and bond a piece of mahogany to the top and start over.

Exactly my thoughts.

Piece of cake really go for it man if you going to put that much work into her might as well do it up.

Edit- seems like youve arrowed it at the point of no return, looks good anyways.

And looked like it turned out great! Congrats and nice paint!

• Members

Brilliant change over, but I gotta say. That headstock is compete gash! It looks terrible, real amateur! Which, when all else is considered is a shame. It's not so much the shape, that's a personal thing, but the way that shape has been delivered looks like it's been hacked out by a beavers mouth. But the guitar is ace! Far better than what it was to start with!

• Members

Brilliant change over, but I gotta say. That headstock is compete gash! It looks terrible, real amateur! Which, when all else is considered is a shame. It's not so much the shape, that's a personal thing, but the way that shape has been delivered looks like it's been hacked out by a beavers mouth. But the guitar is ace! Far better than what it was to start with!

+1 on that. like literally the day after i was doing something with a saw and my dad was like "here, use a jigsaw" and i was so pissed. i didn't think we had one or this would have deffinetly turned out better.

Archived