Strat sound with a Tele?

Carlos&Cambria

• Members

I'm not a big fan of strats, but I like the tone (they just don't feel very comfortable to me, I'd rather play my tele anytime), especially Gilmour's tone (Comfortably Numb to be exact, either the studio or the pulse version mainly) and I was wondering it would be doable to use something like the SSL (or FS-1?) pickups on a Tele and get a tone in the same ballpark?

I know a lot has to do with how Gilmour plays (tone is in the fingers and all that), a Hiwatt (or a loud clean amp), and effects (this is the only thing I'm kinda set on :p), but just to humor me, would it be do-able or will a Tele always sound like a Tele?

Thanks for any and all info :thu:

• Members

I dont understand how you can find a Tele more comfy than a Strat with all its curves n contours? :confused: The neck profiles are pretty much the same at least if you compare say a Mex Standard Tele vs a Mex Standard Strat...or a USA Standard Strat n Tele as well. Just get a Strat! Everyone should have at least 1 Tele, 1 Strat, 1 LP in their collection. Its the law.:cop:

• Members

I dont understand how you can find a Tele more comfy than a Strat with all its curves n contours?
:confused:
The neck profiles are pretty much the same at least if you compare say a Mex Standard Tele vs a Mex Standard Strat...or a USA Standard Strat n Tele as well. Just get a Strat! Everyone should have at least 1 Tele, 1 Strat, 1 LP in their collection. Its the law.
:cop:

Actually that's the problem, the curves and contours of the strat, they just "feel" weird, I have an Epi strat copy (Which feels absolutely horrible and sounds average) but have played a friend's american standard strat for a while and couldn't bond with it, same thing with the ibanez s series, which is kinda like a strat...but more pointy hehe

I also own an american standard tele (which is pretty much perfect :p) and a gibson explorer, not a fan of les paul either but I could see me owning a silverburst les paul before a strat...maybe I just need to play one more and see if it's for me if not...well...no one in my room is going to complain I don't sound like Gilmouor haha

So would you say the only way for a tele to sound like a strat (same ballpark is a-ok) would be for the tele to BE a strat? heh

• Members

I'm not a big fan of strats, but I like the tone (they just don't feel very comfortable to me, I'd rather play my tele anytime),
especially Gilmour's tone (Comfortably Numb to be exact,
either the studio or the pulse version mainly) and I was wondering it would be doable to use something like the SSL pickups on a Tele and get a tone in the same ballpark?

I know a lot has to do with how Gilmour plays (tone is in the fingers and all that), a Hiwatt (or a loud clean amp), and effects (this is the only thing I'm kinda set on
:p
), but just to humor me, would it be do-able or will a Tele always sound like a Tele?

Thanks for any and all info
:thu:

if I'm not mistaken, comfortably numb was recorded with a les paul.

• Members

"So would you say the only way for a tele to sound like a strat (same ballpark is a-ok) would be for the tele to BE a strat? heh "

nah stick a middle pickup on and get similar sounds but the neck pickup on a Tele wont sound like a Strats as its more darker and jazzier sounding.

• Members

Nah Gilmourish.com is wrong here. He did in fact use a LP but one with P90's and it was straight to the desk ie no amp! Just a very expensive Valve compressor sweetening the DI'd sound!! Tis well documented from more reliable sources...I've read the story in Guitarist mag many years ago!
:D

It looks like I have to get a variax and a pod! thanks everyone!!!!

:p

• Members

the strat sound is primarily the neck pickup, so just throw a strat neck pickup in your tele and you'll be like 90% of the way there. a middle pickup would help complete the guitar but would make it uglier than sin

I have to disagree. The strat sound is primarily the 2 and 4 positions which include the middle pickup. Those positions are where you get the distinct strat quack.

• Members

I'd put a Strat pickup in the neck position of your Tele.

If you really want to do that, yeah...I think that's the ticket for the particular Strat sound you're looking for. The neck pickup's pretty distinctive in rock and blues. But the other pups and 4 positions on the clicker are great for all those styles and for country stuff (very much so). Strats are great. I'm getting a Tele soon (G&L ASAT) and can't wait. I've gone the route of getting other guitar sounds out of one guitar. Nowadays I like to get the sound they're built for. I think the bridge pup on a Tele is off the charts great. You'll do what you want...but I bet you end up missing it.

• Members

If you really want to do that, yeah...I think that's the ticket for the particular Strat sound you're looking for. The neck pickup's pretty distinctive in rock and blues. But the other pups and 4 positions on the clicker are great for all those styles and for country stuff (very much so). Strats are great. I'm getting a Tele soon (G&L ASAT) and can't wait. I've gone the route of getting other guitar sounds out of one guitar. Nowadays I like to get the sound they're built for. I think the bridge pup on a Tele is off the charts great. You'll do what you want...but I bet you end up missing it.

I was actually thinking of getting another guitar (tele with strat pickups was my original idea), I definitely want a Tele sounding Tele, I just can't get enough of it, it's a quasi-perfect guitar, but since I wanted to get some Strat tones I was wondering if it could be done with a Tele.

I agree with the consensus (of 1 or 2 people :p) though, that "the strat sound" is defined by positions 2 & 4 so maybe I was just being stubborn, and maybe it's just because I've never tried a G&L Strat.....hmmm...black G&L strat, black pickguard, maple neck....this might actually be a good idea hehe

I think I'll have to give one of those a try, even though I'm really not a fan (so far) of the contour body...

thanks for the info so far, though!

• Members

It's all what we're used to or willing to get used to, imo. I, personally, LOVE the contours of a Strat. So much so that I had the body of my '69 LP Gold Top sculpted that way. $12,000.00 lost dollars later and what can I say? It was a Paul and I wish I'd left it that way. But it's a comfy Paul and a joy to play. I'll never sell it, now...that's for sure. Both 'cuz it's great AND I won't get much for it, anyway.

btw: those G&L Legacy's are really sweet.

• Members

I've seen David Gilmour play Comfortably Numb on everything from a Strat to a Les Paul and even a Gretsch Duo Jet. Also, he's used different amps--a Fender Tweed, a Hiwatt and probably a bunch of others. It sounds almost exactly the same every single time. You really have to listen with a pair of good headphones to hear the subtle differences. He uses heavy strings and he has the strongest hands of any guitarist on the planet.

Not sure what the point is of my post, but I'm just sayin'...

• Members

I have to disagree. The strat sound is primarily the 2 and 4 positions which include the middle pickup. Those positions are where you get the distinct strat quack.

+1

With the Strat pickups, this is the classic Strat tone. The classic Tele tone is that big Tele bridge pickup driving the twang from the ashtray (and I'll also credit the brass saddles doing their bit).

If you want a Tele to sound closer to a Strat, you'll need that middle pickup and a 5-way switch. You could get a Nashville Tele for that--it'll get you close. But that won't get you the warmth of the Strat.

Best way really is to get a Strat.

• Members

The solution to this dilemma was the Jerry Donahue Telecaster, which had a Strat neck PU and 5-way switching (bridge PU/both PUs with special quack-inducing cap/both PUs 'straight'/neck PU via tone control/neck PU with tone control bypassed). I've had one for a dozen or so years, and if it wasn't for my wigglestick addiction, I'd use it all the time.

There was also a JD Strat, with a special bridge PU tweak for Tele-style beef'n twang, but that was only a Ltd Edition (Custom Shop?) and quite pricey, whereas the Tele also came in a staggeringly-affordable MIJ version -- which is the one I have.

• Members

I've seen David Gilmour play Comfortably Numb on everything from a Strat to a Les Paul and even a Gretsch Duo Jet. Also, he's used different amps--a Fender Tweed, a Hiwatt and probably a bunch of others. It sounds
almost
exactly the same every single time. You really have to listen with a pair of good headphones to hear the subtle differences. He uses heavy strings and he has the strongest hands of any guitarist on the planet.

Not sure what the point is of my post, but I'm just sayin'...

GW: How does Dave achieve the classic sound that we hear on the solos of songs like "Comfortably Numb"?

PT: It think it's just pretty much him. He is obviously using a couple of effects, like a Big Muff and a delay, but it really is just his fingers, his vibrato, his choice of notes and how he sets his effects. I find it extraordinary when people think they can copy his sound by duplicating his gear. In reality, no matter how well you duplicate the equipment, you will never be able to duplicate the personality.

GW: What kind of strings does David use on his Strat?

PT: He uses a customized set of GHS Boomers. The gauges are .010, .012, .016, .028, .038 and .048. For his acoustic guitars he uses Ernie Ball Earthwood light gauge strings.

courtesy his tech Phil Taylor http://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/dagear.htm

• Members

Archived