What might a Fernandes copy of a Ric 325 be worth?

Aster1

• Members

Hi everyone,

I was curious about the approx value of a Ric copy with several real Ric parts on it, like vibrato bar, toasters & TRC.

It's in really good condition and since I can't locate a good Real Ric right now (at least for under $1700), I might be interested in this if I can buy it right.

Also, I heard that Ric can take a copy of one of their guitars from you. Has anyone ever heard of that happening?

Thanks for the advice/input.

Aster

• Members

Do you have any pics or anything? Model name or number?

Also, if it's Fernandes, then Ric can't do anything. Fernandes is a real company. They already took care of the rights business. Besides, it's only illegal if it's a counterfeit, not an "as inspired by" type copy like you speak of. Look how many different kinds of strats there are...

• Members

I know Ric is pretty aggressive about protecting their designs, but I'm 99.9% sure they aren't interested in taking your years old guitar from YOU... they are more interested in pursuing companies that are making guitars based on their design.

• Members

Thanks for the info guys. I went to the Ric site and it looks like they Can take a copy from you. I knew they could get the company selling (manufacturing/marketing) the product to stop, but I didn't know the copyright laws allow for the copies to be destroyed after they win an infringement suit. The guy wants $900 for it and I'm afraid I would be stuck with it forever and have the chance of losing my purchase too.

Thanks again ya'll

Aster

• Members

It looks like Ric's battleplan is not to take copies away from current owners. They seem to be more interested in preventing the owner from ever selling it. Just take a look at how aggressively they get online sales and auctions of copies shutdown.

• Members

Wow, you are saying they will come to your house and take your guitar?

This is in the USA? Land of the free?

WTF.....I bet they might run into some opposition, BUT, come to think of it...I bet most Ric owners are not the militant type.

Archived