Is there a problem with my new LP?

chiro972

• Members

I'm coming from a long time in the single coil world, but I bought a new gibby LP Studio deluxe yesterday. I love the guitar, but I thought I was going to lose that single coil static and hum. My new LP through my Mustang amp on pretty much all settings, even clean, has a lot of static popping and general hum that goes away as soon as I ground the bridge or other metal part with my hand.

Is this normal? Or is there maybe a short or bad solder somewhere?

• Members

That does seem odd to me. Is your house quite old? The reason I ask is that many older homes do not have grounded wiring.

Hmmm, You know I hadn't thought of that. The house I'm renting is very old. Some sockets have three prongs but lots have only two. I'm guessing that none of them are properly grounded. I'll try taking it to my office and trying it there.

• Members

I got a studio deluxe and that is definitely not normal. They are great guitars, have em exchange it.

It is frigging amazing. I never thought I'd pay that much for a guitar, but this thing is really really sweet. As long as I get this buzz fixed and it sounds like maybe just my house not being grounded properly

• Members

Hmmm, You know I hadn't thought of that. The house I'm renting is very old. Some sockets have three prongs but lots have only two. I'm guessing that none of them are properly grounded. I'll try taking it to my office and trying it there.

My place has 3 prong outlets everywhere but there is a little rig that you can get that you plug into the outlet and it will tell you if the ground is hooked-up and if the polarity is reversed...I have hardly any grounds hooked-up in my place and it pisses me off!

• Members

yeah - could be the house but more likely it's the grounding of the guitar - check it at work but Im thinking ground in the guitar - OR it's your AMP because when you are in the 2and 4 position on a Strat the hum should go away there too!

• Members

Sometimes, on Gibson guitars, a static electricity charge can build up on the plastic control cavity cover. You can check this by deliberately rubbing your shirt or something on the plate while the guitar is plugged in. You may also try removing the cover as a test to verify the problem.

The backplates on Gibsons usually have some foil shielding on them. If I experience the problem, I will solder a short wire to the ground lug and run it up to where it contacts the foil shield when the cover is on.

Archived