Quick subwoofer questions

• Members

I'm interested in getting subwoofers to augment my ADAM A7 monitors. However, my floor space is at a premium. I'm in a really small room and have very little floor space. I have very little space in general. Is there a good subwoofer out there that's relatively small?

I don't necessarily want to get ADAM subwoofers, so anything that you can recommend that is small but still sounds good would be great.

I've also never used a subwoofer before, so any other advice, I'm all ears.

• Members

I do tape transfers with an Akai 14D, a rack-mount tape machine. As it turns out, if I could put this on top of the subwoofer, I have enough floor space. I kid you not when I say that I truly do not have floor space in this 9' x 12' room because there's so much furniture and crud and racks in here. Anyway, when I'm doing tape transfers, I would not use the subwoofer anyway, so this might work out. Something like the dimensions of this Yamaha subwoofer or the Tannoy TS10 would work if I can do this. (13.8" height, 11.8 width, and 15.2" depth). With the amount of space I have, I can have a wider subwoofer, up to maybe about 19", but not much taller and not deeper.

• Members

Ken,

The KRK is pretty nice, and so is the M-Audio. They both have xlr inputs and are powered. Make sure that whatever you get has the same jack configuration as your speakers, as that simplifies things a lot. I think both the KRK and the M-Audio have a foot switch bypass. That's a nice feature, too.

Here's a link to the KRK. http://www.krksys.com/krk-subwoofers/10s.html

Steve

• Members

I have KRK's sub and it works out nice. The sub bypass works out great. Any 1/4" on/off switch will plug in. I had an old Peavey amp switch and it works like a charm. The connections on the back are xlr inputs and outputs, trs inputs, and rca inputs and outputs. I myself mix with it off and then when finalizing the mix I switched it on to see how the lower freq. are thumpin. :)

Archived