Bugera V5 Tube Swap

BeanoBoy

• Members

I was at a fiend's house yesterday for lunch (delicious Italian stuffed peppers with ground beef, sausage and mozzarella. Yum!). Afterwards we swapped the stock Bugera EL84 and 12AX7 tubes with Electro-Harmonix tubes in his Bugera V5. The swap yielded noticeable improvements in high end sparkle and low end thump ( sorry about the, by now, over-used cliches) . Anyone else swap the V5s tubes and what brands did you try? My impression is the Bugera is a fine practice/recording amp. Doesn't excel at clean or overdrive ( didn't try any pedals with it) but has a nice tube feel. Good bang for the buck.

• Members

I swapped in some JJ's and it made a HUGE improvement. I have been using this amp for a year now a few gig's included (with a mic of course) and have had none of the problems others have had. One other thing I can recommend you try with the V5 is swapping out the speaker, I put in a Jensen P8R and its fantastic. It is amazing how held back the amp is by it's stock speaker.

• Members

JJs sound the best to me. I've compared them to Tung Sol, EH, and Winged C, and I prefer the JJs in every area. When I put JJs into one of my amps, my non-guitar-playing roomate was even able to tell the difference, and I didn't even mention that I had swapped tubes.

• Members

I LOVE my V5........

BUT, I have a rattle in mine. I sent it for warranty repair...they resoldered some power cuircuit leads...came back with buzz just as bad.

I took apart....noticed a sheet of plastic over the power lead circuit board...I hot glued it to the curcuit board...it helped the rattle/buzz, but not 100%.

Any one else have this issue?????

• Members

I LOVE my V5........

BUT, I have a rattle in mine. I sent it for warranty repair...they resoldered some power cuircuit leads...came back with buzz just as bad.

I took apart....noticed a sheet of plastic over the power lead circuit board...I hot glued it to the curcuit board...it helped the rattle/buzz, but not 100%.

Any one else have this issue?????

Are you sure it wasn't one of the tubes? Sometimes they get something loose in there and rattle.

• Members

The thought of modding mine has never crossed my mind as I really like it stock.
:idk:

Keeping in mind tone is definitely in the ear of the player, we felt the stock tubes were warm but a bit 'veiled' or 'foggy' sounding. The Electro Harmonix definitely lifted the slight 'fog' over the tone. My buddy's Tele had more twang. Just two guys opinion........

• 9 years later...

Archived