Educate me on Gibson "the Paul"

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I have a "The Paul" copy from the 70's- interesting to see the copy brands giving the time of day to a Norlin-era Gibson.

(Bad photo - it is the natural walnut-finish even though it looks nearly black in the photo)

g_lp-thepaul.jpg

For sub-$500 a "The Paul" might be worth a look.

• Members

Spend a little more and buy a Studio or something else .They were better than the Maurader or S1 but not much.

There are better guitars out there to spend your money on. PS I live in Mpls also.

• Members

Is that a The Paul II? It looks like it might be. They were made during the 90s, and they'refairly different than the original The Pauls. I don't know the exact differences, but I'm sure somebody does.

Folky,

You know I'm not sure. That was a post from "Music Go Round" in Mpls/St. Paul. The blurb said that the PUP's were swapped out - so those are not the stock PUP's.

- W

• Members

Spend a little more and buy a Studio or something else .They were better than the Maurader or S1 but not much.

There are better guitars out there to spend your money on. PS I live in Mpls also.

Greetings from Mpls. I don't think I would consider Gibsons a bargain. But I like the LP platform. And I would not mind telling people "Yes - I have a Gibson". I probably prefer the glossy finish of the high end LP's, but on the other hand I don't mind the dull/satin finish of the faded studios. And at $800 new (w/ HSC) they are starting to look pretty attractive.

- w

• Members

i would be heartbroken if anything ever happend to my the paul. its getting a refret and a WHOLE SLEW of mods later this year. ive played a {censored} ton of gibsons (studios all the way up to 1 of 50 customs) and i cant get over how i love the way this paul feels. this guitar is my #1 its my ultimate love

thepaul5.jpg

thepaul6.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi, I have a Firebrand LP 1980 with Tim Shaw pups and the sound is fantastic, better that a studio , or a new LP or SG, I've played loads of them, and they don't come any way near to the rich warm tones, which I can get out my Firebrand, Also I'm trying to find out which factory it was made at, Memphis or Nahville ? any info would be welcome,

• Members

I have a firebrand but has a black headstock with Gibson in pearloid. Gruhns guide to gibson talks about this one rare The Paul in his book.

Most have "Gibson" stamped or decaled as noted.

One thing The Paul shared the body of the Marauders .

The paul body shape

N3BJB1lRySjFIUVzSLcH4wnkQ.jpg

Marauder body shape

GibsonMaruader.JPG

Archived