Gibson's most recent Trademark application

BeeTL

• Members

You can't directly link to the application, but if anyone wants to search it it's serial number 85218173, for this design:

ImageAgentProxy?getImage=85218173

Looks like they also have S/N 85216721 for the Flying V headstock shape.

ImageAgentProxy?getImage=85216721

They also made an intent-to-use application last year for the Corvus body shape, S/N 85087171. I have no idea why.

ImageAgentProxy?getImage=85087171

• Members

Interesting. I wonder if it's normal to trademark something that has been openly copied by others for so many years ? I know they created it originally, but don't seem to have tried to protect it before now.

OTOH, I doubt there will be some massive, coordinated and well financed battle over this by competitors.

• Members

Interesting. I wonder if it's normal to trademark something that has been openly copied by others for so many years ? I know they created it originally, but don't seem to have tried to protect it before now.

Happens all the time. Sometimes an object or idea does fit the trademark application until it becomes popular and copied, ironically.

For instance, the Beatles original use of the Apple name and logo. It was not widely associated with the Beatles as much as their actual band name, so Steve Jobs was able to take it and run all the way to the bank. Now imagine if they were the Apples with a Beatle record label. The name would be so popular that the iPhone would have to be released under another company name.

That's my layman's understanding anyway. Let a real blues lawyer chime in for accuracy.

• Members

For instance, the Beatles original use of the Apple name and logo. It was not widely associated with the Beatles as much as their actual band name, so Steve Jobs was able to take it and run all the way to the bank. Now imagine if they were the Apples with a Beatle record label.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any conflict if the two companies stay in separate business areas. DELTA is used by different companies for an airline, a dental insurance plan, and faucets, for instance, with no conflict. If the goods/services are related, however, there could be a conflict.

The record label actually sued the computer company in the late 70s / early 80s, when there really was not a basis to find a conflict. They settled, and agreed not to get into each others' areas of business. But the record label reopened the dispute later on, as the computer company got into multimedia and then digital music. I think they've only reached an agreement on coexisting in recent years, which is why the Beatles' catalog apparently wasn't available on iTunes until last year.

• Members

"Dammit Jim I'm a musician not a Starfleet officer!"

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any conflict if the two companies stay in separate business areas. DELTA is used by different companies for an airline, a dental insurance plan, and faucets, for instance, with no conflict. If the goods/services are related, however, there could be a conflict.

Thanks for that, btw.

• Members

Here's an interesting article on the whole patent/trademark situation and how it's playing out in the world of guitars:

As some of you know, I'm a intellecutal property attorney by trade. I always reseist jumping into legal discussions on the forums because 1) I don't think it's appropriate to be giving anything that could be construed as legal advice online in a forum setting and 2) no offense to everyone here, but I don't want to be the go-to legal guy whenever this debate comes up or someone has a personal copyright/trademark/patent question. That said, the article that BeeTL posted is a very good overview of the law around copyring gutiar design (no, I didn't write the article, though I have often thought of doing so and wish I had)! It's worth the read if you are interestd in this topic.

Archived