NGD! SG Classic Faded is here!

shinsengumi

• Members

Yeah, I'd be inclined to say it's minor enough to keep because of the reported feel and monster sound. The next one you get could look better and be a dog sound-wise. OR it could be absolutely perfect and have a snapped neck from shipping ... OR, well you get the idea: A bird in the hand.

• Members

So, got the replacement in the mail today. Plays just as well, sounds similar, maybe slightly brighter, still one of if not the best sounding guitar I have. The finish is fine, the wood looks nicer, no flaws, only the overall color is a lighter shade of red. Let's forget filling the grain for now, but wouldn't dyed shellac work to make it a bit darker? Shellac works with everything...

• Members

Congrats on the guit!

I am *seriously* thinking of getting an SG Classic faded, too. (yes, that "Live at Leeds" sound ;)

If the orange peel and grain really bothers you, trade it in and get a non-faded model.

• Members

That's a beaut!!! :love: Congrats!

Oh, you exchanged it. :o Well, still!

Give the grain-y feel some time. My LP Jr. is finished that way and the neck has worn down a bit with playing. It's smooth and silky now.

I actually liked it so much I got an LP BFG. :D

• Members

"but damn, it's like they didn't use any grain filler at all. I can feel and see all the open pores"

this struck me as funny, hehe. the entire purpose of the faded finish is that the grain isnt filled and you can feel the pores.

Actually, I think the purpose is that they use a way less expensive method of finishing them so they can sell them cheaper. The effect is that it has open grain and that particular feel.

The effect of the cheaper finish method could just as easily be dipped-in-plastic.

• Members

Actually, I think the purpose is that they use a way less expensive method of finishing them so they can sell them cheaper. The
effect
is that it has open grain and that particular feel.

The effect of the cheaper finish method could just as easily be dipped-in-plastic.

same thing. my point was its the way the finish is, and a big part of its appeal. listing it as a defect is funny.

• Members

here's the new one

198790_607469958541_37003198_34883851_51

Looks like you did better on the grain matching with No. 2. Congrats! I have a few guitars with those faded finishes and the feel of them actually kinda grows on me. More "organic" feeling. I also find that the necks develop a slick worn in feel faster than most with those thin finishes.

• Members

Looks like you did better on the grain matching with No. 2. Congrats! I have a few guitars with those faded finishes and the feel of them actually kinda grows on me. More "organic" feeling. I also find that the necks develop a slick worn in feel faster than most with those thin finishes.

Yeah, the first was a 3 (!) piece with VERY uneven matching, the new one is 2 piece, center joined, and the grain matches so well it's nearly impossible to even see the seam. The other was a darker red though, which was nice. Oh Gibson and their stellar consistently.

This one sound heavenly though - the P-90s through my plexi reissue at half volume just sing, and the clean is really nice.

• Members

nice one, i'm glad you exchanged it, that binding would have driven me nuts. It's a shame that people don't have enough confidence in Gibson these days to exchange a guitar in case the next one has a bigger problem.

Archived