NGD (2.5 weeks overdue)

Beckman

• Members

I picked this up a few weeks ago, but I never took pictures, until now.

Nothing fancy, just a Gibson SG Faded Worn Brown. Specs are the usual, nothing new here. I really like it. It has a big neck, but I got used to it pretty quick. It's funny, I can adjust to neck shapes, and scales. But, I just can't get used to the narrower nut widths. It is a few years old, has some wear, but that is expected. I am thinking about putting on chrome pup covers, but probably won't. The only SG that felt better are those striped SG's, but was more than twice as much. This is my first Gibson, Didn't pay much, and got a hard shell case. I really like the pups, I know a lot of you do not, but it gives the tone I want from an SG.

I have had a Epiphone LP, but with this, I am using it to play more songs that are mostly rhythm. Use Somebody, MFC (PJ), etc. And, some more LP played songs. I also have to say, I play stairway better on this. I can hit the 4th chord without muffles.

Pics:

CopyofDSC03863.jpg

DSC03865.jpg

DSC03866.jpg

DSC03870.jpg

• Members

It has a big neck, but I got used to it pretty quick. It's funny, I can adjust to neck shapes, and scales. But, I just can't get used to the narrower nut widths. I am thinking about putting on chrome pup covers, but probably won't. The only SG that felt better are those striped SG's, but was more than twice as much. I really like the pups, I know a lot of you do not, but it gives the tone I want from an SG.

I agree with everything you said up there. I've often commented here that I personally prefer the 490R/490T combo over the 490R/498T combo that they use on the Standards

Here's a pic of mine next to its fatter brother

GibsonFadedBrothers.jpg

SGFaded001.jpg

I've got a LP Studio coming and I'm going to pull its p'ups out to put in a set of Seth Lovers I've had kicking around, so I was thinking about putting those chrome covered p'ups from the Studio into my Faded SG. Partly also because I have a Bigsby I'm going to be putting on it as well so I think all the extra metal might add more bling to it. But I really do prefer the 490T so I'm not sure yet. To me it just has a more classic rock tone that's not as hard sounding as the 498, but with the Bigsby on it, it might need the extra punch since Bigsbys tend to darken the tone a hair anyway.

Archived