What is she playing?

thankyou

• CMS Author

Big Al Lifeson on the mandola

Given the body shape, where he has the capo, and what he's playing, I think it would be a stretch to call that a mandola. It would probably be more correctly called a cittern or an "Irish bouzouki." (obviously a made-up instrument)

What an awful video! Do people actually enjoy watching, or even making crap like this? No apologies if it's your work. ;)

• CMS Author

It's a custom-made Garrison mandola, yes.

Well, in the photo it's called a "baritone mandolin." But you won't find anything with that name in an old Gibson catalog. When you build a bastard instrument like this you can call it whatever you want. Baritone mandolin isn't a bad name for it, as long as it hasn't been previously taken for some similar instrument.

• Members

I should stay out of this, but here's a better picture and link.

Fixed bridges like that give me the willies, but I admit to being pretty ignorant of string instruments beyond guitar. Is that thing really going to play in tune that far up the neck?

This thread made me want a mandocello. I think it would sound great in acoustic indie/folk pop. But apparently this is not something you can start out easy with by buying a $300 Rogue or Fender.

• Members

Fixed bridges like that give me the willies, but I admit to being pretty ignorant of string instruments beyond guitar. Is that thing really going to play in tune that far up the neck?

This thread made me want a mandocello. I think it would sound great in acoustic indie/folk pop. But apparently this is not something you can start out easy with by buying a $300 Rogue or Fender.

This makes a pretty quick introduction to mandocello. Mike Marshall here in a D'Addario promo:

[video=youtube;KAMe9pZwogY]

The modern Irish Bouzouki was popularized largely by the playing of Andy Irvine or Donal Lunny associated with the neo-traditional group Planxty circa 1970s.

• Members

after meditating about it for three day, I came to the conclusion it is stringed Englishhorn.

After meditating for about three seconds, I came to the conclusion that you have hyperventilated on one of these. For a better head rush, try the didgeridoo.

watch?v=L6qy8RVo4v4&feature=related

• CMS Author

My Martin flat top guitars (and just about everybody's flat top guitars nowadays) have a fixed bridge. And who cares if your instrument is playing in tune when you're playing up the neck? The fact that you're playing up the neck is impressive enough. ;)

Liefson has a couple of guitar techs who probably tune it with the capo on, so that the notes that he plays will be sufficiently in tune for the song he's about to play (if he plays more than one on it).

This thread made me want a mandocello. I think it would sound great in acoustic indie/folk pop.

No, you probably want a mandolin. A mandocello goes down below the range of a guitar and unless you're using it in place of a bass, will just stomp over the typical guitar sound in an indie/folk pop group. It (as is the case with a mandola or something else in that family and range) would be fine as a novelty instrument that you used for one song. Oh, and they always buzz a little.

Only in Earth Opera could David Grisman could get away with playing mandocello through a whole show, beside Peter Rowan's harp guitar, both electrified, with a standard rock rhythm section.

• Members

The modern Irish Bouzouki was popularized largely by the playing of
Andy Irvine
or Donal Lunny associated with the neo-traditional group Planxty circa 1970s.

Yeah, watched this clip and some others... it seems like every mandocello player makes the joke about "when giant mandolins roamed the earth. :) I happen to know of Andy Irvine- my mom plays Irish concertina and also organizes concerts for Irish artists here in the northeast. She went to see him play in Hartford this past weekend.

Seems like there's room in the market for someone to manufacture an affordable mandocello.

• Members

Can't tell if the nut is compensated on this or if it's just the strings making it look not-quite-straight (and I looked up some info on Garrison, and this actually was a production model and they called it a both an "octave madolin" and in later catalogs, a "mandola"), but Garrison puts Buzz Fieten nuts on practically everything but their budget-line guitars, so if that were the case, then the intonation would probably be fine up the neck.

Archived