Anyone bought partsocasters secondhand - good move?

JimH

• Members

sometimes I see high spec partsocasters and think theyt must be good value - I've realised that specs mean very little to me - a good qualtiy guitar is a good quality guitar and whether I bond with it or not is pretty random. - So therefore there may be a bargain out there.

But then I wonder why they ditched it.

any thoughts/experiences?

• Members

It can be a great move...sometimes a partscaster is a fun project and doesn't make it into your main lineup and gets sold to buy or aquire more gear. On most of the ones I have sold I took a loss on the parts and the buyer/trader got a hell of a deal that cost wise was just a tad more than the price of the warmoth neck. I would look at the ones being sold for around $300, that is where the real deals are. As far as how good of a deal, make sure you reference the parts used and see what you are getting first, or if you have the chance to play it first, then awsome.

• Members

Depends.

Usually partcasters are built by the owner to very specific tastes and preferences. There are a lot of options out there so that they may not be the ones you're looking for. Is the neck radius and shape you want? Fret size? Bridge type? Pickups? High quality parts or bargain basement specials?

Take a look at the owner. If he's a total beginner, the guitar may not be assembled or setup correctly. If it's from an experienced player, the guitar may be better as a whole.

You might also find a partcasater that has everything you want except for maybe one component and you would only make a small mod to get it perfect.

• Members

As others have said, if you can play it first, you may find an awesome guitar. I've built two partscasters - one from USA Fender parts, one from MIM Fender parts. Both guitars turned out really well, and the USA one trumps just about any other Strat for me. It's built to my liking, and I set it up very well. Others may not love it as much as me, but all that really matters is that I love it.

• Members

I have one that I priced to sell, lots of high-spec parts but no bites. I can totally understand why, there's some risk involved. Pretty sure if it was hanging on a wall and someone put it in their hands they would know it was an absolute bargain before they even played a note on it. Having said that, I would want lots of details from a seller before I bought a partsocaster.

• Members

Partscasters are much more valuable if they're disassembled and parted out. When someone sells a partscaster in still-assembled form, I automatically think the seller is looking for quick cash and can't be bothered to break it down and sell the parts one at a time.

As a potential buyer, I always see something about a partscaster that dulls its desirability. There always seems to be some compromise, some bottom-of-the-parts-drawer part, something that's half-assed, or some corners cut here and there. It's the tire-kicking that drives the prices down on assembled partscasters.

But on the flip side, sometimes there's one sweet detail, like a great pickup or a good set of tuners, that makes a rather ordinary partscaster desirable. Nevertheless, a partscaster is typically not worth the sum of its parts.

Archived