Recording studio build. Advice

danxrs05

• Members

Hey everyone.

I am having my first house built right now. I am moving in in July. Pretty excited!!!

I am planning on building the studio, right when I move in so I am starting to do some research.

The room will be approx 10x10.

Not too big, but hey, it's only for me and my instruments. Not a pro thing! hehe

I need some advice on building, insulation (sound), flooring, etc etc.

If you have any advices, it would be much appreciated.

Websites as well.

I'll post pictures in July when I start! :)

Thanks guys!

• Members

Hey everyone.

I am having my first house built right now. I am moving in in July. Pretty excited!!!

I am planning on building the studio, right when I move in so I am starting to do some research.

The room will be approx 10x10.

Not too big, but hey, it's only for me and my instruments. Not a pro thing! hehe

I need some advice on building, insulation (sound), flooring, etc etc.

If you have any advices, it would be much appreciated.

Websites as well.

I'll post pictures in July when I start!
:)

Thanks guys!

One thing you might be able to do right now (if it's not too late) is specify thicker drywall for that room, and also insulate behind the drywall. That is, if you're trying to at least somewhat contain the sound to that room.

Also, consider a separate electrical circuit for that room,, and of course, plenty of power outlets!

• Members

read this

there's a lot of bull{censored} and opinion out there. this article originally published over 3 months in mix mag, is about the best i've read (and i've read a lot). it's long, it's more than you need to know, but at least you'll know what you're doing and why with your own personal space. it doesn't get much into the math of where and how much treatment to put into a room but that's easily found on the net. i've found, the smaller the room, the more you need to treat. 10x10 will probably need 2/3rds fuzz on the walls/ceiling. bass traps will make a BIG dif. there are a few low-rent ways to measure the response of your room.

don't forget, everyone who has written something on room design doesn't know your particular needs. it's all theories, not rules. the only rule is...if it sounds good, it is good.

• Members

btw - in a bedroom, i'd go laminate wall since you're not going to get pro spec room anyway. drywall/sounboard (homosote)/drywall. floating the layers is best. solid core door (tightly sealed), laminated shutters inside over the windows. should be able to crank a marshall, forget drums.

• Members

Thanks everyone!

The room will be constructed by me (walls, insulation, drywall, electricity) so I am doing a lot of research.

Would you suggest hardwood floors over fake wood? Or even plain concrete (It'll be in the basement)?

Thanks Roy, yeah I'm in Ottawa as well! hehe.

• Members

Thanks everyone!

The room will be constructed by me (walls, insulation, drywall, electricity) so I am doing a lot of research.

Would you suggest hardwood floors over fake wood? Or even plain concrete (It'll be in the basement)?

Now that I know it's a basement, I've been considering the same type of project and here's a few things I came up with...

Definitely put a lot of thought on the ceiling & humidity control. Thick drywall on the ceiling and insulation above that. And I wouldn't put any of those flush ceiling lights in because it defeats the purpose of soundproofing; if you have enough ceiling height, use regular hanging fixtures. If not, just use wall mounted lamps or track lighting.

I would also consider putting sub-floor tiles down, the kind that have feet on them. There's one brand I know of that is accessible to the general public, I think it's called DryCore. This can eliminate the cool, humid vapor that sublimates through the concrete. And with the feet on the tiles, it still allows the concrete to breath but the air circulates below the tile rather than up into your room. I don't know what I'd put on top of that for acoustic purposes. Personally, I'd shoot for comfort/atmosphere and put down some indoor/outdoor carpet.

I'm not an expert on the topic, I just read quite a bit about and tried to use common sense to sort out the BS and overly-anal stuff. And I'm not trying to re-create abby road or electric ladyland, just a nice place to record & play :-D

• Members

Now that I know it's a basement, I've been considering the same type of project and here's a few things I came up with...

Definitely put a lot of thought on the ceiling & humidity control. Thick drywall on the ceiling and insulation above that. And I wouldn't put any of those flush ceiling lights in because it defeats the purpose of soundproofing; if you have enough ceiling height, use regular hanging fixtures. If not, just use wall mounted lamps or track lighting.

I would also consider putting sub-floor tiles down, the kind that have feet on them. There's one brand I know of that is accessible to the general public, I think it's called DryCore. This can eliminate the cool, humid vapor that sublimates through the concrete. And with the feet on the tiles, it still allows the concrete to breath but the air circulates below the tile rather than up into your room. I don't know what I'd put on top of that for acoustic purposes. Personally, I'd shoot for comfort/atmosphere and put down some indoor/outdoor carpet.

I'm not an expert on the topic, I just read quite a bit about and tried to use common sense to sort out the BS and overly-anal stuff. And I'm not trying to re-create abby road or electric ladyland, just a nice place to record & play :-D

Ahh, and one more thing I forgot...

I'm working with about the same amount of space as you, but I'm also planning to build a 3' x 5' soundproofed booth within that space for amps and vocals. With that in mind, the thicker drywall and insulation isn't a huge factor outside of that area. But the booth walls will be thick and I'll be concentrating most of the soundproofing to that area.

I just need to get around to doing it now! :-D

• Members

Thanks a lot Fenezz

Yeah I'll look into that fake floor thing a bit. Seems like a bright idea.

As for humidity, I have a central control for the whole house, so it will always be around 60-65% all year round. (ALLELUIA)

• Members

How are you heating and cooling this room? Any ducting in the room is going to shoot a huge hole in your soundproofing.

If you want to do it right you need mass and decoupling. Usually multiple layers of drywall with resilient channel and/or "room inside a room" construction.

• Members

Thanks everyone!

I'd go with carpet or some other non-reflective flooring.

• Members

Where in ottawa are you movin brotha? Nice to meet ya, Im Josh
:)

Actually I live on the Quebec side. Moving to Buckingham. It's about 10 min from Ottawa but saying I'm in Ottawa is easier for people to understand geographicaly. hehe.

Archived