PRS SE neck profile: wide thin vs. wide fat

ILikeGuitar

• Members

I was wondering what the difference is and how big the difference is between these two neck profiles on PRS SE guitars. The singlecut has the wide fat and the doublecut has the wide thin. How does it compare to say an average American C shape strat neck?

• Members

I was wondering what the difference is and how big the difference is between these two neck profiles on PRS SE guitars. The singlecut has the wide fat and the doublecut has the wide thin. How does it compare to say an average American C shape strat neck?

Neither feels like that. Thin feels squashed, fat feels like it has more shoulder, more gibson-y than fender-y thick.

Their non-SE guitars feel different for some reason, with the wide-fat feeling closer to a fender big C neck. Or at least, that is how they feel to me in my area.

I don't like the SE necks. Somehow I just do not get along with those guitars.

• Members

I don't like the SE necks. Somehow I just do not get along with those guitars.

I very respectfully disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. Before I knew anything about guitars, or even realized that they had different neck profiles, I got an SE with a wide-fat neck.

After owning and playing dozens of more guitars of all the big brands, I realized that the wide-fat is the ultimate in comfort. I've played both thinner and fatter necks, but these necks are absolutely wonderful.

As for the difference between wide fat and wide thin, I prefer the wide fat because my hand doesn't cramp as easily. I suspect that all of this is subjective to your hand-size and other personalized factors.

Just rest assured that you are in good hands with PRS.

• Members

I have an SE doublecut, and the neck is fantastic, but for the stuff I do (more chorded rhythm stuff than lead) I like the SE Singlecut, which my bandmate/bestfriend has. Great, chunky, feels great. One of my favorite necks on a guitar.

• Members

I think it depends on which SE you play... the Torero seems to have a decent neck to play with... the SE One didn't, at least not by my preferences.

I also like the neck on the SE Custom 24, of course, none enough to buy.

• Members

I very respectfully disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. Before I knew anything about guitars, or even realized that they had different neck profiles, I got an SE with a wide-fat neck.

After owning and playing dozens of more guitars of all the big brands, I realized that the wide-fat is the ultimate in comfort. I've played both thinner and fatter necks, but these necks are absolutely wonderful.

As for the difference between wide fat and wide thin, I prefer the wide fat because my hand doesn't cramp as easily. I suspect that all of this is subjective to your hand-size and other personalized factors.

Just rest assured that you are in good hands with PRS.

Really, you disagree that *I* don't get along with the necks? You are wrong. Now, OTHER people may like them just fine. But *I* do not. I did not disparage the SEs, just say they didn't work for ME.

I do NOT find the SE fat/wide comfy. I love the USA version. Not sure what the difference is... because they are supposed to be the same according to PRS. Maybe it is the finish? But I don't like the SEs. I went and played a bunch TODAY because I like PRS and would totally buy an SE if I could find one that felt right to my hand.

If it makes you feel better, I despise the wide-thin for the same reason you don't like it. I like chunkier necks, just not the SE.

• Members

OK so is the wide-thin like a thin D shape? Like the Epi SG's?

Well the wide-fat according to their website has a neck depth/thickness of 0.84" at the nut which is kinda like a regular C strat, but I'm not sure how much shoulder it is... like a shallow C or what not.

The wide-thin is 0.78" at the nut...

• Members

There is also the "regular" neck profile that is the same thickness as the wide-fat, but I believe 1/16" narrower. That is what is on the Mira, and while I do noitce a difference from that and the wide-fat, it's not too different to where I REALLY feel it...

The wide-thins to me are the same "cut" as the WFs (still like a "C" moreso than a "D"), just not as thick...

EDIT: OK, here are the three main neck descriptions from the PRS site (so I was only slightly incorrect above ;)):

The Regular neck is a comfortable neck that is 1/32 narrower and not quite as thick front to back as our Wide Fat neck. It is currently only available on the Custom and Standard 24 Satin.

The Wide Thin neck has a thinner profile front to back than the Wide Fat. This neck is available on many of our 22 and 24 fret models.

The Wide Fat neck only available on 22 fret models, has the same nut width as the Wide Thin neck but has a big comfortable profile, similar to our Regular neck. Because of its strength and longer

• Members

My SE is a 'go to' guitar....meaning if I drop in on a jam, it seems to embody a reasonable playability and tone, that seems acceptable...infront of a good amp, you can find magic...

I don't know how to describe the neck...it's not small, but it doesn't seem to get in the way...substantial enough for rhythm playing, but small enough for good leads..

Because of the scale length it doesn't fell as sloppy as a Fender, and the neck is down closer towards your body...not way out there....

Reminds a little of an Axis...the Axis being a little smaller, but it has a tele with an LP neck feel, without the weight, it's thinner at the body, hangs very nice...

My only complaint is I can't find that grail tone with it, but it's acceptable..

• Members

I have a PRS Santana SE Mk 1 -- one of the first they ever built, s/n B 00005 (quoting from memory -- since it's currently on loan to a friend -- I think I got the number of zeros correct). Its wide-fat profile gives it one of the most comfortable guitar necks I've ever played.

And replacing its competent-but-blah stock HBs with a pair of Kent Armstrong's HB-sized P90s means that it now sounds as good as it feels.

• Members

It's all subjective, but the wide fat neck on my SE One is definitely the most comfortable of all my guitars. It was the first guitar I owned where I really noticed how much the neck dimensions affected how I played.

I've not tried one but I'd love a McCarty, not least because according to the specs it has the same neck shape.

• Members

Really, you disagree that *I* don't get along with the necks? You are wrong. Now, OTHER people may like them just fine. But *I* do not. I did not disparage the SEs, just say they didn't work for ME.

I do NOT find the SE fat/wide comfy. I love the USA version. Not sure what the difference is... because they are supposed to be the same according to PRS. Maybe it is the finish? But I don't like the SEs. I went and played a bunch TODAY because I like PRS and would totally buy an SE if I could find one that felt right to my hand.

If it makes you feel better, I despise the wide-thin for the same reason you don't like it. I like chunkier necks, just not the SE.

Poor pre-coffee grammar on my part, Oaksong. Not intending to imply that you don't know your own mind. Merely I was attempting to explain to the OP that not everybody felt like you did, although I fully get that its a personal choice. :thu:

• Members

Poor pre-coffee grammar on my part, Oaksong. Not intending to imply that you don't know your own mind. Merely I was attempting to explain to the OP that not everybody felt like you did, although I fully get that its a personal choice.
:thu:

noted :)

BTW, do they make SEs with the "standard" profile or just wide/fat and wide/thin?

• Members

Compared to an American Strat C neck (which, coincidentally, is the exact kind I have), the PRS is quite a bit wider and fatter, although more of a soft V than a C, there's more of a curve to it... if that makes any sense. I like them both a lot, maybe preferring the PRS a hair.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I'm jumping in to (1) state that I really like the "WIDE-FAT" neck. I find it akin to my "Go-To" Axe, a 1969 Les Paul Deluxe, or for that matter, any American LP neck. The "WIDE-THIN" neck feels (TO ME) as if it aspires to more of a Stratocaster kind of feel, albeit a thinner width than I've ever felt on any Strat - and while I enjoy playing virtually all of the Strat necks with the exception of the 'Baseball Bat" Strat necks, I do NOT enjoy playing the PRS "WIDE-THIN" type. Too thin and flat for *MY*taste. Perhaps it's an aquired taste? (2) Thanks for the comment on calling pick-ups "pups"! My dog had pups. My guitars have pick-ups! So speaking of 'taste", a seemingly recent marketing-jargon trend annoyance that I never hear PLAYERS use (but find in every catalogue and review these days) is the use of food-words in guitar and amp descriptions, such as "This (insert product name) dishes out huge helpings of chunky goodness..." --are we discussing music or food? I wont go on, but get the feeling that nutritionists are being hired as music-writers.

Guitars:

1969 LP DeLuxe

2009 Fender American Texas Special S-S-S

2010 Fender American H-S-S Sienna Burst finish

2007 Gibson J-185 Rosewood

2010 Fender American Special Jazz Bass

1974 Fender Precision Bass

(I was robbed big-time, so many of these are insurance replacements with more to come soon!)

Archived