Parker P44?

Fluttershy

• Members

What do people think about these?

I was looking for a fairly fat sounding Single Coil guitar, but this seems more interesting to me at the moment. The humbuckers aren't too muddy, and despite that sound good coil split too.

Any fans?

• Members

I borrowed one once that played and sounded great. I prefer thicker necks, but I really think they're nice. They have tons of features, too: piezo, coil tap. The P-38 has HSS if I'm not mistaken -- if you want single coil it might be worth looking into.

• Members

I was originally looking at a Jaguar for a guitar, which is known for it's trebley, scratchy sound. People tend to dislike Coil Splits for having a trebley, scratchy sound. Win win? I can't help but think it doesn't sound all that jangly compared to a real single coil, or a good PAF humbucker, maybe a bit meh. But I haven't heard many good clips - I need to hear it through a Vox or Tweed.

I'm hoping the middle coil tap position will give me a P90 or Jazzmaster-ish sound if i play with the wiring a bit. Actually, I believe it should anyway.

• Members

I was originally looking at a Jaguar for a guitar, which is known for it's trebley, scratchy sound. People tend to dislike Coil Splits for having a trebley, scratchy sound. Win win? I can't help but think it doesn't sound all that jangly compared to a real single coil, or a good PAF humbucker, maybe a bit meh. But I haven't heard many good clips - I need to hear it through a Vox or Tweed.

I'm hoping the middle coil tap position will give me a P90 or Jazzmaster-ish sound if i play with the wiring a bit. Actually, I believe it should anyway.

Yeah, that's the problem with trying to find good demos of guitars like the Parker. Nobody plays the kind of music I want to be playing when they do those demos, so I never really know what they sound like except in the context of shredding.

I had that problem when I wanted some P90 sound demos. Everybody, I mean everybody, plays hard rock or blues through them, or some sort of jazz. I wanted to know what it sounded like with very low gain, playing jangly chords, and nobody even tried to show what that's like.

• Members

Exactly, for me that sound can make or break a guitar. The humbucking cleans are lovely though. I'm kind of going off the lower gain tones now because of how abused they are by indie bands. I think I'll stick with chunky humbucker low gain, that can be pretty cool.

Though at least they get more versatile demos than the usual bl00z everything gets.

• Members

I have a parker P38. I highly recommend the P-series, at least mine and the few others I've had a chance to play have been very nice. The neck may be a little thin for some but I like it. The fit and finish is hard to beat at their price. The piezo opens up a lot of different sounds as you can blend it with the regular pickups. Though the piezo is good, the stock magnetic pups are not very impressive at all to me. When I quit being lazy I'm swapping them out. Although the piezo is nice I would urge you to consider a PM20 (which doesn't have a piezo stock) if you are going to get an HH P-series Parker. The ones I've played have been excellent players and I really dig the neck-through construction. Just my .02. I don't think you can really go wrong with any Parker however. Highly underrated company.

• Members

I took a guitar lesson once (the only guitar lesson I've ever had) from a really good guitar player and he was just seriously a shredder, and he played a Parker Fly. He had a hairband on the neck, so you know he meant business. Between sections of the lesson, he would slap that hairband on, play some blindingly fast scales, slip the hairband off, then give me the next section of the lesson.

I think that experience will always somewhat ruin Parker guitars for me. Haha. I found it to be a very appealing sounding guitar, however.

p.s. I learned a lot during the lesson, honestly. In fact, I learned so much that I realized I wasn't completely in the wrong end of the pool and it gave me the confidence to stop taking lessons. Oops.

• Members

It's funny, because they actually have a bit more of a classic rock voicing to them, or classic hard rock anyway. They'd probably be very good for classic metal. They're not really shredder guitars, but they can be used as them. The pickups(both the Stingers and the SD Jazz and whatever they put in the higher models) aren't as dark and high output as your average Ibanez, but they're still loud and relatively noise-free so you can crank the gain on them.

• Members

I think at the amp settings most shredders use, all pickups sound the same. I mean, when was the last time you heard weedly weedly woo and was able to correctly identify that one was playing a humbucker and the other was playing a single?

Anyway, yeah, I think they sound pretty good. I think blended split humbuckers sound interesting, quite fresh, not at all congested like humbuckers can often be. Combine that with a bit of piezo and you won't lack for jangle.

• Members

The middle position is supposed to be a blend of the closer 2 coils of the Humbuckers. In other words, with the right pickups in there, it should sound Jazzmaster or P90-ish.

I'm thinking of getting the more expensive piezo bridge, though I don't know whether it slots right in or not. It's meant to have much more low end.

Though since it has a blend, couldn't I blend in the neck humbucker with the tone down at low volume? If it's quiet enough nobody will notice it sounds electric, it'll just sound like a bit of bass ambience like you'd get from the big body of an acoustic. Good idea?

Also I'm curious as to how high output it can get. The pickups are mid gain for humbuckers, but for modern humbuckers, I believe. The loudest position might actually be the middle coil split position, though it may be the same volume as the humbucker sound, plus the Piezo. I'm wondering if the Piezo adds enough volume to help overdrive a fairly clean amp; it would also add a bit more clarity so it doesn't get muddy with gain. I wonder if anyone else has thought of using it like this.

• Members

I had a P44 for a very short time (I still own and love a P36). I can't remember how much I paid for the 44, but Amazon was blowing them out for a few days, and they were crazy cheap. I sold it right away because, though I wanted to like it more, even split HBs don't do for me what pure SCs can do, and the HBs still seemed too dark for my tastes. YMMV.

• Members

The P-44 VB (the one with a Parker trem) is just about the perfect guitar.

Interestingly, adding in the piezo just makes the distorted bridge position heavier.

But it can clean up all the way to the most pristine sounding acoustic and/or single coil sound.

...it's a gateway drug to Parker USA guitars

Archived