Post pics of gaudy guitars that you like

RufusFussbuster

• Members

Let me see some pics of gaudy, flashy, or downright tacky guitars that you like despite (or because of) their looks.

Now, this isn't just a fugly thread, so don't go running straight to Ed Roman's Abstract page - the key is that you have to admit to liking what you post. You don't have to own it, but you have to dig it.

Me, I have a thing for the 70's Ibanez Custom Agent. A classic shape with some pretty, erm, ornate accoutrements. That is easily the ugliest guitar headstock that I like. I don't own one, but I'd rock it, proudly. I can't explain - I just like it.

Ibanez_CA73.jpg

For those that found the 2405 (above) too subdued, the 2675 added a bit more flair in the body inlays:

2675.jpg

Haha! Would. :love:

So, what skeletons do you have, or want, in your closet?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No pics at the moment, but I sometimes rock a white B.C. Rich Warlock! Pointy? Yes! Over the top? Yes!

But it's a fun guitar and a couple of players I admired growing up played one so it's staying.

I also like:

Most Flying V's

Explorers

Jackson: Warrior, Kelly, Kelly Star, Roswell Rhoads and a few of their wilder designs.

B.C. Rich:Warlock, Mockingbird, Eagle, Bich, Stealth, Ironbird, the rest are meh...

There are a few others but truthfully, I'm really more of a Super Strat guy(see sig.), though I can't shred to save my life...really!

And I'm not a huge fan of graphics on guitars. Stickers, yes, but other than the Ibanez U.S.A. Customs and a few other exceptions, I've just never liked painted graphics on guitars.

• Members

I'm not a very 'vintage' type of guitarist, so I tend to gravitate towards non-traditional guitar colors w/ figured woods or sometimes eye catching paint jobs. so most of my guitars are probably considered on the gaudy side of things. However my sambora strat is most gaudy with the paisley finish (which is somewhat irridescent / gold in the right light), chrome Floyd and star inlays. But it works on this guitar and I love it.

edit: here's a pic

4509178322_a1a8b2d4ce_b.jpg

more than a few people consider Jackson PC1 to be gaudy. I think they're beautiful

4883567451_f1757ef198_b.jpg

and here's a custom I had ordered a year ago. It arrived after I retired from playing live, so sadly never got to play this on stage. It has tremendous potential as a panty dropper/bra slinger.

5500082126_acea72b0fd_b.jpg

• Members

Ibanez_JEM_20th_Anniversary_guitar.jpg

My buddy has 3 of these. He is a rich Steve Vai nerd. Anyway, somehow Ibanez figured out how to make acrylic sound good and not be too heavy, these are nice playing guitars. They better be for the price though.

• Members

I had one of these in for setup once. Easily one of teh heaviest and worst sounding guitars I have ever had in my shop.

I'm quite aware of how awful they are; I just like the look. If I was actually going to play a Mockingbird it wouldn't be that one.

• Members

Ibanez_JEM_20th_Anniversary_guitar.jpg

I almost bought one of those. A guy offered me one for about 40% of what they sold for when new.. (which was *not* cheap) and it was still sealed in factory box. But I'm a player, not a collector worried about being 'mint' so I passed. time will tell if i made the right decision or not. Sometimes I kick myself thinking that these will be worth a lot in 10-15yrs.

• Members

anything in metal flake. they look like disco funk dodgem car amusement rides from the 70s but I think they're so {censored}ing cool. also, whoever did those flying Vs in metal flake WITH animal print is a genius!

Archived