Movies Thread (I need suggestions)

Phait

• Members

I went through all the suggestions on IMDB but haven't really found one that completely resonated with me. Maybe that'll be a hard pair of shoes to fill.

I did add Polanski's
The Tenant
to my watchlist. For some reason 70's movies are harder for me to watch, I guess I'm spoiled by the 90s/00's+ quality.

I do know what you mean about the "look" of a film. That "look" is usually given away by three things, AFAIAC:

1). Fonts used in titling and seen in the picture,

2). The kind of light the cinematographers were fond of (the warm 70's lighting versus that airy, white, cool lighting of the 80's, say)

3). The hair and makeup styles on the women.

The best directors, like Polanski, try to steer clear of these indicators and create movies that are not inextricably linked to a particular decade. ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968), for example, could've been made yesterday.

Phait, as you say, there are some "looks" that give me a sinking, bored feeling when I turn them on, such as the lighting and hairstyles of those 1980's "teen" flicks: Bueller, Pretty In Pink, Breakfast, et.al. I can barely watch many American movies from the 1980's at all. I recently tried to watch CANNERY ROW (1983). I had to turn it off because, though the plot was a Steinbeck Depression piece, the movie was so rife with 80's looking hair and lights and attitude. Yuch. Ditto the movie FRANCES (1982).

Movies from America's "New Wave" period (arguably the era subtended by BONNIE & CLYDE [1967] on on end, and, say, STAR WARS [1977] on the other) are now really galvanizing when you appreciate just how daring and "for real" they are in their critical intent. Watch a movie like MIDNIGHT COWBOY or THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY?, or LENNY or CABARET, even THE EXORCIST, and you will be staggered by how intelligent and stylish they were.

• Members

One of those German words--- so very useful--- for which we have no direct equivalent in English. Like "liebestod" or "korinthenkacker" or "Weltschmerz" or "Schadenfreude".

HAHAHAHAHA

you know my whole vocabulary, only words missing are Nacktscanner, Hosenscheisser, Dopingbeichte. Gammelfleisch and Luderliga

• Members

Not big on comedies or movies in general, but hey.. Vanilla Sky is a lot of my own life (minus the car wreck and mask). So, that one spoke to me in a few ways.

In the 70s, I watched a tedious movie called Blume In Love in some theater. About midway, there is one single crucial line of dialogue... which made me instantly connect with the movie. As boring as it otherwise was. In fact, I memorized the line instantly.. and two months later, using that mindset... I had a particular girl back that I had thought gone for good. Ah, the 70s.

Let's see.. fast forward to the 90s. Not liked by many, Intersection spoke to me loud and clear from beginning to end. Mirrored my situtation in every detail.. the look of the film, the feel, the situation... well.. like Vanilla sky ... everything except the car wreck. Hey that's two movies with car wrecks that I can relate to. I still pop that movie on sometimes and it instantly takes me back to those times.

Oh yeah... I think Zack and Miri Make a Prono is a very very very cool movie too. Doesn't particularly speak to any of my life situations, but it's really cool.

• Members

okay, literally..

Nacktscanner = Nudescanner, the scanner for example at airports you see the person naked, or a machio guy who says: "I'm a living Nudescanner""

Dopingbeichte = Doping confession, for example a sportsmen who confesses in public that he took doping sustances

Gammelfleisch = Scuffy meat, for example a person who doesn't wash himself and stinks like a rotten body

Luderliga = Bitch league, a female who belongs to the national league of bitches, for example an It Girl who stands at the boxes of at Formula One race, or a bitch who annoys the whole nation on TV

• Members

Not big on comedies or movies in general, but hey.. Vanilla Sky is a lot of my own life (minus the car wreck and mask). So, that one spoke to me in a few ways.

HUGE movie for me, I relate to it alot. In fact in real life I had a similar situation what-with the meeting a girl you connect with, drawing each other during that connection, and your best friend being {censored} buddies with her (it was somewhat reversed as to how I related in some ways).

Archived