Desktop tech: Windows 8 will be "largely irrelevant" to desktop users -- IDC analysts

blue2blue

• CMS Author

Icon menus are only usable once you know what the icons mean.

I have that problem a lot, even with buttons on my car's dashboard, and the car is 10 years old. When you don't use something all the time, you forget what the possibilities are, so the pictures aren't very good reminders.

Icon based menus should, at the very least, have the option of turning more explicit common language descriptive captions on and off.

All present Windows desktop icons have text captions. You mean that's gone away? It's taken me years to get away from the pre-Windows text menus.

A menu system should also be flexible to be user configurable to his common tasks and approach.

Sure, but they should start out in a common sense place. I don't want to have to build (or rebuild) my menus before I start working. Sadly, I think that the model for icon-based menus these days is the smart phone (I don't have one) so I suspect that's how the new Windows might very well look out of the box. I don't believe phone icons have have text captions.

• Members

Just remember - the rule is Odd Numbers Good, Even Numbers Bad. Skipping an operating system cycle seems to be de rigueur:

Windows 95 - yes

Windows 98 - no

Windows XP - yes

Windows Vista - no

Windows 7 - yes

Windows 8- no

Windows 9 - yes

It also applies to software...which update was cooler, Pro Tools 9 or Pro Tools 10?

Beware the even numbers!

You forgot...

Windows 98SE: Yes

Windows ME: Aw hell no

As for software, I'm the same way with Cakewalk Sonar updates...I'm still using Sonar 7 Producer though...Will get on the X1 train once I upgrade my desktop.

• Members
Yes, they do.

Happily, my Android has icon labels. You might be able to turn off their display, but I've never been so inclined. I mean, I'm not that app-crazy, but there are a lot of apps on my phone -- all free. All those icons sort of blur together at a certain point -- particularly since many of them are quite abstract/logo-like.

Archived