Ugh! This heel access truss rod is going to be the death of me.

kit_strong

• Members

Just spent over an hour doing a much needed truss rod adjustment and string change on my Classic Player Strat. I love the way this guitar sounds (and looks) but I can't fathom why Fender went with a heel access truss rod adjustment. If i have to adjust the truss rod again in the next 6 months then I might seriously consider getting a Warmoth neck.

• Members

It just means more dinking around, because of the fact that if the adjustment you made doesn't do the job, you have to take the neck off again, to make another adjustment. That can get to be a real pain, if you have to make multiple adjustments. Whereas with an adjuster in the headstock (like my Gretsch and my G&L have), you just have to put a wrench in the adjuster hole, and give it another tweak.

• Members

My Jazzmaster was like that. I think it's in the neck heel, to conform to the vintage vibe of the guitar. But, it sure makes it a pain to do truss rod adjustments, since you have to take off the neck, to get to the adjuster.

I'm not sure how much a vintage vibe you can really get with a 12" radius standard-thin profile neck

• Members

My favorite strats are all 60's style with the heel adjustment, you get used to it. I prefer the aesthetics of the headstock minsus the plug, and definitely prefer the feel of the neck without the skunk stripe

• Members

Yea, this feature sucks, had it on my JM and currently dealing with it on my Mustang Special. Authentic or not, this is a vintage feature that needs a modern day update.

Fender should take a hint from Maton. Both Maton electrics I own have set necks with truss adjustment at the heel. However, there is a tiny plate you can remove and access the truss rod with ease, much better design, IMO.

• Members

personally I find this annoying and would only buy a guitar like this if I really loved it.

if I had one like this I'd just let a trusted tech set up the neck. I don't have the patience for taking off putting on takin off putting on and a pro tech is probably better at getting it right anyway!

Archived