Strat making static noise when touching pickguard?

japstrat

• Members

To get rid of the static sound caused by dragging your fingers across the pickguard all you need is alumn foil. You don't have to solder it tp anything. Mark (above) I just did this fix on a tele for a friend a couple of weeks ago, worked perfectly.

Yes I agree, if you want to go full out and shield the cavity, and the pickguard and tie it all together and solder to it then copper would be better.

Some of the better quality relacement pickguards come with alumn foil already glued to the back.

Where do you even find THIN copper foil these days?

• Members

I had already bought some copper from here, relatively cheap: http://www.whimsie.com/copperfoil.html

I already cut one up using an exacto knife, it was about the thickness of a business card. Not sure if copper is any better than foil but I like to over do it when I mess with stuff? I've just been putting things off til now. I wasn't sure which pups to get or what tone capacitor resistance to go with, but I'm pretty set on a Fralin BS set and a .1 cap from sozo (what Callaham uses in his strats). Thanks for the info, hope this gets rid of the noise.

• Members

Then swap the neck & mid pup's wires at the switch.

That defeats the purpose of the mod, which is that you get neck + bridge with hum cancellation.

This does happen sometimes, I usually just splice a wire in to make the middle longer. But that's because I know I want the mod. It's a little much for something if you're not sure.

That said, if you do the switch mod first and you like how it sounds, you can then take the step to splice an extension wire in and physically swap.

Archived