American Standard strat trem: saddle or plate replacement.

BIGD

• Members

Okay, so all the height adjustment screws on my 91 strat bridge are stripped and/or rusted. I would really love to be done with the offset screws since they limit what repalcements you can use. Does anyone make a plate that you can swap out that takes regular saddles, or do you have to buy a whole new trem?

If not, does anyone make normal steel strat saddles (not graphite, not the stupid zinc ones from the original) that have offset screws? And that don't cost $70 for 6 tiny pieces of metal? :rolleyes:

• Members

has a set of offset steel saddles for $50.

Those are graphtechs, they have graphite inserts. Has anyone had any experience with them? How quickly do they wear out.

A replacement set of American Standard saddles is $15 at MF. Even if the stupid nuts on them wear out after 5 years..$15 is a lot beter than $50.

• Members

If you want to try a different bridge, most 2-stud trems can be drop-in replacements, so you can always just go with the popular Wilkinson trems. MannMade also makes a 2-stud drop-in version of their original PRS bridge.

But if you just want the saddles, you can buy these from Callaham for $40...

sd_as.jpg

Graphtech doesn't wear easy. I've had some Graphtech saddles on my Goldtop LP for a good 15 years or so. A all Graphtech saddles are warmer than steel (Fender) and brighter than brass (Gibson), but I don't know how the stelel/graphtech combo is.

• Members

Thanks for all the help guys.

I head read somewhere about the graptech saddles wearing more quickly, but I guess that's bogus.

As for the American Standard saddles, the nuts are highly susceptible to stripping and rust from sweat..they are {censored}, basically.

So a Wilkinson trem is a drop in replacement, no need to put in different studs?

• Members

Thanks for all the help guys.

I head read somewhere about the graptech saddles wearing more quickly, but I guess that's bogus.

As for the American Standard saddles, the nuts are highly susceptible to stripping and rust from sweat..they are {censored}, basically.

So a Wilkinson trem is a drop in replacement, no need to put in different studs?

That's what Wilkinson used to advertise. I don't know if it's true for the newer Am Std Strats, it was for the older ones. You can use the same Fender pivot screws.

Archived