AmpKit vs. iRig

d_dave_c

• Members

So modeling has come to the iphone and there are two options, Amplitube's iRig and Agile Partners/ Peavey's AmpKit. Both seem to have their pluses and minuses. It looks like both of the interfaces are $40. I can't tell if the full software comes with the iRig, but the fact that AmpKit is powered makes a big difference - I think you'd run out of juice in your phone pretty quickly if it's drawing from the iphone battery. I think I'll get one of the interfaces and then download the free versions of each of the software before committing to one or the other. Maybe I'll get one app on the phone and one on the ipad.

Check out the videos. Both sound pretty good:

[YOUTUBE]LTP3dZEaFhM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jNCcJRVBLUQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FfMGZ2tx2TE[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I emailed someone at Agile Partners about that. On other boards they said they were aiming for a July ship date, but the site still says pre-order, so I guess they're a little behind.

GC's website says they'll have the iRig in stock on 8/8/2010.

• Members

I emailed someone at Agile Partners about that. On other boards they said they were aiming for a July ship date, but the site still says pre-order, so I guess they're a little behind.

Yep, we've had some slippage due to outside dependencies. However, we're closer every day. We're looking at launch for AmpKit launch very, very soon.

• Members

Thanks, there are lots of videos on our YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/ikmultimedia (including links to user videos and such in our Favorites) and tons of reviews on http://bit.ly/irigreviews to give you some more of a picture of AmpliTube iRig.

Just to note, the lack of battery doesn't mean the app will drain battery any more or any less - iRig does not draw any power from the device, and we've simply done our crosstalk/feedback busting in a different way that does not require a battery. Same issues, different solutions is all.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Will these work with the IPOD touch?

All of them except the 1st Gen iPod touch - that model did not have the audio-in capability. Apple started building the ability to use a TRRS jack starting the the iPod touch 2G and later.

To get a better picture of AmpKit, we've started getting our reviews in - TUAW, CrunchGear, ArsTechnica, Bass Musician, GearDiary, and many more... http://www.agilepartners.com/blog/2010/08/26/ampkit-ampkit-link-generating-tremendous-excitement-around-the-world/

• Members

I've had the Ampkit for a few days now and I'll give the combo of software and adapter a wholehearted thumbs up!

Using it with an iPod Touch 3G, sounds great. Only thing is, it becomes quite expensive once you start adding amps and effects. I also downloaded the free Amplitube rig, it's got a snazzier GUI but the included Marshall amp sim at least seems to generate quite a lot of background hiss and if you engage the noisegate it totally changes the sound of the amp.

• Members

I have the iRig - just the first one that I saw in a store. The ampkit sims with gain feedback like crazy with the irig to the point that they are unusable. I bought the amplitube ap for $20 to get all the models and they're pretty good. the noise gate is useless, and there is a little ambient noise without it. I need to try it with HB's to see if that quiets it down.

I've also downloaded the free version of ishred, which is okay, and the $1-$2 Amps & Cabs and Riot FX.

Kinda cool to have tabtoolkit running on the ipad and playing through my phone.

I kinda wish that the interfaces played better with each others apps, but I guess that's kinda the point.

• Members

I went with the AmpKit Link specifically due to the noise from other devices. AmpKit's adapter is battery powered to reduce feedback/noise and it works quite well.

Their AmpKit software is top notch as well. I've been having fun with it.

I also just learned on their Facebook page that they are coming out with an iPad version which will be FREE to us iphone app users AND all over our stomp box and amp purhases will transfer over - so we don't have to buy anything a second time.

Good stuff.

(By the way - got the Link from Sweetwater for only 29.99 and free shipping, which seemed about $10 cheaper than other places).

• Members

I have no idea how to utilize Utorrent :[

What's an ASIO device?

Asio device is a device that hooks up via usb to your computer and lets you run high end programs like FL guitar rig, amplitube with direct sound and no crackling.

Its like ram for your geet.

they say once you learn utorrent you never buy a cd,program,movie... pretty much anything ever again.

• Members

So do you use utorrent to steal our program too? Just curious. Won't ask for your IP or anything I promise :)

Oh, and note that Premier Guitar thinks the feedback playing field is even, with or without power on the device. They do quite like both apps, though, so props not only to us but to the other guys too :)

I'll send a link to this thread for N.I. as a courtesy too, we enjoy respectful competition with them but to see you've specifically admitted to pirating their software they might want to know. Well done.

• Members

I'll send a link to this thread for N.I. as a courtesy too, we enjoy respectful competition with them but to see you've specifically admitted to pirating their software they might want to know. Well done.

I never once said I pirate your software or anyone elses. I simply did a math equation on what works out well.

Try harder:cop:

And also, N.I. ftw, bring em on in. I bet they do not assume things like Ik does >.

EDIT: in regards to TS, I saw this vid about 3 weeks ago, this guy seems to get great sound and he does awesome reviews.

Obviously the sound quality of the irig is just as superior as there troll skills are in this here thread.

• Members

I've had the Ampkit for a few days now and I'll give the combo of software and adapter a wholehearted thumbs up!

Using it with an iPod Touch 3G, sounds great. Only thing is, it becomes quite expensive once you start adding amps and effects.

Thanks! We're getting the expense question often. Right now, we feel our products are market priced for their worth. Most of our amps are dual channel amps - including the Taos you mention (clean/lead). Elsewhere, you might have to buy both channels separately. I often recommend the AmpKit+ bundle, since that represents a more than 50% discount on all the included parts, were you to buy them individually.

• Members

Thanks! We're getting the expense question often. Right now, we feel our products are market priced for their worth. Most of our amps are dual channel amps - including the Taos you mention (clean/lead). Elsewhere, you might have to buy both channels separately. I often recommend the AmpKit+ bundle, since that represents a more than 50% discount on all the included parts, were you to buy them individually.

Yeah, I guess it's all a matter of perspective - compared to Amplitube's offering, you guys are a bit more expensive, compared to sims for full size computers such as Toneport & Ampfarm (which I also have) you're almost ridiculously lowcost.

From a consumer and player point of view these are good times...:thu:

Archived