NAD - Not your usual $80 Peavey

• Members

Grabbed this ValveKing 212 yesterday from CL. Cosmetically minty, but not working, $75.

P1010239.jpg

A few bucks in fuses and diodes later, some borrowed tubes, and it's alive! Plus my weekend free time, which I'll count as $0, since I spent it on a project that I found interesting and edifying.

Front and center are the diodes that threw themselves in front of a bad tube, possibly saving the OT with their self-sacrifice. Thanks, little guys!

P1010240.jpg

You can also see my "handiwork" there on F203, where I soldered in a new fuse holder. The old one wasn't cooperating, so it had to go.

I was planning on flipping it after getting it going - but the cleans are pretty GREAT, while the jury is still out on the gain channel. Better than okay, but not great. Some preamp tubes or mods may be in order. I just might have to hang on to this thing for a little while. It is also LOUD.

While I learned more about troubleshooting circuitry as a near-novice, I also learned a healthy respect for testing and discharging capacitors. The hard way. :eek:

Okay, so a quad of 6L6's will be needed, so it's not TECHNICALLY an $80 ValveKing. But hey, it sounds cool to say for today, and my other amps don't mind sharing tubes for a while. :)

hannibal.jpg

• Members

Very nice! I have a soft spot for the valve king series. A friend has one, and we've had lots of fun jams. He isn't all that into the distortion channel either, opting to run pedals for his distortion. His is the head version.

Also nice job on diagnosing the problem. You saved one from the junk pile, nice job.

HNAD!

Archived